Recipe Question- Cascade Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS and picked up a recipe to do a extract/steep version of this beer as it sounds delicious. I have a few questions that i'm unsure of...

The ingredients I have:
6 lbs extra light DME
1 lb vienna malt
1 lb crystal 10L
6 oz of 7.5 cascade pellet hops

recipe calls for 1 oz hop additions at 60 minute, 10 minute, 5 minute, and 1 minute and additional 2 oz in secondary.

The recipe calls for 6 oz of 5.5 cascades. The shop only had 7.5 cascade available so I picked up 6 oz of that. The recipe is for a full boil and i'm only doing a 3.5 gallon partial boil.

how much of the hops should I use?
Should I steep the grain at the normal 30 minutes at 150 degrees?
Am I just going to add the hops to the secondary loose?
How do I prevent the transfer of the hops into my bottling bucket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I plugged the recipe into Beersmith:

A full boil with all of the extract added in the beginning and 5.5% Cascade hops would result in about 31 IBUs. (This assumes the recipe called for pellet hops, which have a higher utilization than leaf hops. If it called for leaf hops, then the IBUs are closer to 28.)

It just so happens that a 3.5 gallon partial boil with all of the extract added at the beginning with 7.5% pellet hops at the same addition schedule gives about 29 IBUs, right about what the recipe intended.

Keeping the same hop schedule keeps the aroma and flavor at where the recipe intended.

Vienna malt needs to be mashed to get full use of its potential fermentable sugars, but maybe it's in there for the orange color it will impart from steeping more so than adding fermentables?

Am I just going to add the hops to the secondary loose?
How do I prevent the transfer of the hops into my bottling bucket?

When I dry hop, I just add pellets loose to the secondary. After 12-14 days in the secondary, most of the hops will settle out, and you can rack without picking up too much hop junk.

Back