O'Dell 90 Shilling Clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigolbigbelly

Reaction score
St. Louisan by choice, Missourian by geography.
:confused:I have been looking for a 90 Shilling clone but have not been able to find one. I was able to find on another forum where someone emailed Doug O'Dell gave him the percentages of the grain bill as follows.

90 Schilling has about 27 IBU's and starts at 1.054, w/malt % as follows:
75% Pale ale malt
9% Munich malt
7% light crystal malt
5% wheat malt
3% caramalt
1% choc malt
Bittering Hops: Northern Brewer
Finishing Hops: Cascade

I tried to use Beer Tools and could not find how to enter percentages of the grain bill. I've been ordering my recipes through Brewmasters Warehouse and was trying to enter the recipe into the brew builder. This is what I came up with by guessing the amount by percentage.

Thomas Fawcett Halcyon Pale Malt 7 lbs, 8 oz
Caramel Munich 12 oz
Simpsons Medium Crystal 10 oz
Briess White Wheat 8 oz
Weyermann Cara Red 2 oz -not sure about this-90 shilling has a redish hue
Simpsons Chocolate 1 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets .75 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets .25 oz @ 10 mins
Northern Brewer Pellets .25 oz @ 5 mins

Got the recipe to come out to 1.054 and 27.5 IBU's like he said just not sure if my choice of malt/amount is in the ballpark and have no idea what kind of yeast to use. (I've Googled the hell out of every combo of O'dells and yeast and got nothing)

So any help with the amounts, type of grain and the yeast would be appreciated.

Caramunich is very different than Munich, so I would switch that.

I would go for a lower L crystal malt (say 10-20L) since that is what is called for, it will give you more sweetness and less fruit/caramel than the medium.

Caramalt is actually a specific product that you can/should buy if you want an accurate clone.

I would also follow the instructions and use cascade instead of NB for your final addition.

All that said what you have there would make a fine beer, it just might not be exactly a clone.

For yeast the Wyeast 1728 is terrific, especially if you can ferment around 60.

Thanks Oldsock,
with that I,ve changed to:
Thomas Fawcett Halcyon Pale Malt 7 lbs, 4 oz
Weyermann Light Munich 1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 20 12 oz
Briess White Wheat 6 oz
Simpsons CaraMalt 4 oz
Simpsons Chocolate 2 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets .75 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets .25 oz @ 10 mins
Northern Brewer Pellets .25 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs Edinburgh Ale -I'm a white labs type of guy but found this is the same as the Wyeast.

I cut off the part that said finishing hops were Cascade and Northern brewer.

I'm not really worried about the hop/malt balance being higher- this is a Scottish ale made by an American brewery. It tastes much hoppier then a regular Scottish ale would be.

Still not sure if the percents are right but I guess I will have to play with the amounts to get it to taste like Odell's.

Sounds good, remember to post your results.

IIRC the White Labs version does not ferment down as cold as the Wyeast Scottish, just so you are aware.

OK, Have brewed and kegged this one. never got the right yeast, ended up using US-05. It had a very sweet taste upfront that I could not put my finger on when I first kegged it. After week and a half in the keg the sweet has turned to more of a fruity type of flavor. It has a lot of characteristics of 90 Shilling but needs more hop flavor on the end. Going to try to brew again in the future changing:
Briess White Wheat 6 oz to Pale Wheat malt 6 oz
Add .5 oz NB & Cascade hops at 0 mins.

Back