Will this keg work for a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
keg.jpg

Or would I be wasting time? $25 on my local CL

I'd wait if I were you. Keep checking CL or you could also call a local microbrew and see if they have any that they would be willing to sell. I called Elevator Brewing Co here in Columbus and they said they would sell me some for $50 ea, I know a little more than the $25, but they are 100% legit, no "ethical" issues.

What would be wrong with that one? I'm just curious.

It will work, but it's not ideal. You'll have to get a plate welded over the bung hole, and it doesn't have heavy duty built in handles like sankey kegs have.

I, too, am in the "wait" camp, unless you're desperate to get a keggle quickly.

+1 on not being ideal. No handles, extra welding etc. The newer type with the handles also have a rim at the bottom which makes dumping them much easier as well.

Why not just throw a party....

A deposit for a Keg around here is around $40, so throw a party, finish the keg and use that.

Why not just throw a party....

A deposit for a Keg around here is around $40, so throw a party, finish the keg and use that.

Because that is theft and is unarguably wrong and hurts a brewery that already operates on a hair thin margin. Why pay for the beer or deposit at all? Why not just rob a package store? If you're passionate enough about this hobby to convert a keg, please show enough respect to the brewing craft to not steal from those providing you with the beer you enjoy.

I'd have to agree that it is not ideal. I placed a wanted ad on CL when I needed mine and got tons of responses, some with legit kegs, some not. I got each of mine for $30 a piece that way and they are all legit.

Because that is theft and is unarguably wrong and hurts a brewery that already operates on a hair thin margin. Why pay for the beer or deposit at all? Why not just rob a package store? If you're passionate enough about this hobby to convert a keg, please show enough respect to the brewing craft to not steal from those providing you with the beer you enjoy.

Alright man...no need to get personal...Is that not why you put a deposit down in the first place?

Alright man...no need to get personal...Is that not why you put a deposit down in the first place?

That's the part of this debate I never quite understand too. Luckily I can go to the scrapyard here and get one for $1 a pound basically any time I want so I don't have to worry about it.

I am new at this and might not understand the way it works. So let me know if that is the case and I will not do that when I get that advanced.

Sorry if I offended you.

:drunk:

Naw, I'm not offended, just passionate. Breweries (especially the small micros that we all love) spend a boat load of money on kegs. Even with economies of scale, ordering thousands at a time, the cost per keg is well over $100 to the brewery. Quoting http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/328/56/, "A new keg can cost between $165 and $185. A brewery needs to sell beer in the keg around 10 times just to see a return on the investment."

There are legitimate ways to obtain decommisioned kegs or purchase new kegs legally, but just putting a small deposit down for the keg and tap and not returning isn't legit. See Keggle - Home Brewing Wiki for more info.

Luckily I can go to the scrapyard here and get one for $1 a pound basically any time I want so I don't have to worry about it.

Not around here. I've checked several scrap yards and they all say that they have been informed by the breweries that these kegs are to be considered "stolen property". Thus, it's illegal for them to purchase/sell them.

Not around here. I've checked several scrap yards and they all say that they have been informed by the breweries that these kegs are to be considered "stolen property". Thus, it's illegal for them to purchase/sell them.

That's weird, I've bought both a Sanke and Corneys from the one here?

Back