importance of temp on pilsner or lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrewer

Reaction score
i am fermenting a batch of pre-prohibition lager and wondered how important it is to hit the first fermentation temperature of 50 degrees?
i will be able to lager this at 35 degrees in secondary.
right now its at about 58 degrees in primary.

It's crucial to be within the preferred fermentation temperatures of the yeast strain you're using. Too high of a temperature can really make a lager taste bad (sulfury and estery, etc). Lagering temperatures are much less important than fermentation temperatures.

It's crucial to be within the preferred fermentation temperatures of the yeast strain you're using. Too high of a temperature can really make a lager taste bad (sulfury and estery, etc). Lagering temperatures are much less important than fermentation temperatures.

In other words, it will still be beer, but it won't have the clean tasting attributes one associates with a lager. It will be more like, but not like, a typical ale - if that makes any sense. I've had no problem with lagers that were fermented in the correct temp. range, but received little true lagering before tapping. Mostly what they lack is the clarity, but they still taste fine.

thanks for the help, i just grabbed the yeast package, it is saflager s23 and it has a temp range of 51-75F.......i just squeeked in there at 58F on the IDEAL range of 51-59F.
i will keep my fingers crossed that this is a good temp.I brewed it on saturday the 25th

S23 is fairly forgiving. You can fairly safely ferment in the upper range (60F). Lager it for a good 4-6 weeks (or more) after near 32F.

Kal

S23 was a disaster when I used it at 50*F. It produced all kinds of diacetyl and fruity esters. I have read several posts here and elsewhere where folks claimed that it was actually much cleaner at 58*F. :confused:

Back