I want to try a good mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
I have never had a mead before and I would like to sample someone's homebrew. I have heard that commercial varieties tend to suck compared to homebrewed ones. I am willing to pay for shipping if someone is willing to part with a few bottles.

I bought some organic mead a few days ago. It was the first mead I've had (aside from the sample of my experiment mead that's only a month old) and it tasted real good. My mead tastes like a cinnamon laced firecracker.

Also...DON'T discount your ability to make one at home. It's ez to make

Sez' you!

Guess I'm just a moron. Well, yeah, I am.

:(

Sorry for the thread jack. To the OP, I have never tasted mead before either. That is why I have tried to make it. I say make some also. Not everyone is as mead challenged as me. You'll probably do great ;)

I might have a little sump'm for ya! :D

Also...DON'T discount your ability to make one at home. It's ez to make

Oh, I don't doubt that. I just wanted to taste some before I invest the effort. I also don't have a free 1 gallon carboy at the moment (or one at all for the matter). Thanks for the offer. :rockin:

Most meads do suck. Honey is highly fermentable, so it ferments way out, and what you get to taste is yeast feces. There are a few good ones, I have yet to try a plain old honey only mead that was worth a tinkers damn.

Among the commercial meads I have tried, the stand out is an English meadery that spikes the honey only mead with some single malt scotch. Woot!! that is good stuff.

Among homebrews that I have made, my favorites are braggots, a mixture of honey and malt for the fermentables with some hops tossed in for added flavor.

The alternative is to deal with either Campden tablets, or more honey than the yeast can ferment, to leave some hoeny flavor in the final bveverage. I ahven't tried weither of those at home.

Lots of folks will swear by blueberry melomels, I swear at them. But I am just an ornery old cuss...

Oh, I don't doubt that. I just wanted to taste some before I invest the effort. I also don't have a free 1 gallon carboy at the moment (or one at all for the matter). Thanks for the offer. :rockin:

Just run to the grocery store and buy one of those gallon jugs of the bottom-shelf wine. Drink it then make the mead and put it in the bottle. The fun part about this is you can call it "Mystery Mead" because who knows what you put in there after drinking a gallon of cheap wine!:tank:

Just run to the grocery store and buy one of those gallon jugs of the bottom-shelf wine. Drink it then make the mead and put it in the bottle.

I do this...often! I have no LHBS, but plenty of cheap wine available locally. I re bottle it into beer bottles and use it for cooking. Seems that I have about 3 cases of cooking wine :rolleyes:

Back