Blowoffs vs. airlock and the impact on the final product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowoff tubes vs. airlocks and the impact on the final product

• Blowoff fermentation makes for SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER beer than airlock fermentation

• Blowoff fermentation makes for MODESTLY BETTER beer than airlock fermentation

• There is LITTLE OR NO DIFFERENCE in beers fermented with airlock or blowoff

• Airlock fermentation makes for MODESTLY BETTER beer than blowoff fermentation

• Airlock fermentation makes for SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER beer than blowoff fermentation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thor

Reaction score
I've been an airlock user to date, but found the need to quickly put together a makeshift blowoff last week, when my Fat Tire clone started foaming out of the airlock.

It got me wondering, hence this survey. The basic question is this: does using a blowoff setup have a noticeably positive impact on the end beer's flavor vs. using an airlock, is it the opposite, or there no real difference in the end result.

A blow off is just a different version of an airlock. It just allows the foam to expell if it gets that high.

Neither allow air back in just gas out.

I would be inclined to agree with the little to no difference crowd. Papazan says that blowing of kraeusen expelles undesiralbe fusals and resins...in my experience the batches that I've made that didn't blow off (because I use a larger fermenter) were better; however, I changed several factors around the same time so I would not point to this as being the one.

I agree with the posts and didn't vote because I don't like the choices. I don't use a blow off because I hate to see the foam escape from the primary and turn to liquid...I should be drinking that stuff, not watching it hit the sanitizing solution!!!! I've been using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with a lock as a primary and typically transfer to a secondary within two weeks at the max. I've not tasted any ill effects AND WILL NEVER AGAIN WASTE THE FOAM! :drunk: :p

I voted Modestly Better, but right between that choice and No Difference would be my real choice. I believe that blowing off does get rid of some materials and that it helps minutely at best.

It saves a mess though for sure!

You know, I think I can come up with a solution to figure out this problem.

Picture please, if you will.

Primary fermenting vessel. Filled nearly full. Blow-off tube attached, leading into a second carboy, fitted with an airlock. Keep all blow-off in second carboy. After blow-off, transfer 1/2 of the primary into the second carboy and allow each to ferment fully, racking and bottling both at the same time and keeping them seperate. Taste will tell.

You've a point. I may try if I have the ambition during my next batch but I'm usually short on ambition on brew daze, errr days :drunk: ...willing to bet the effort and difference in taste is probably not worth the effort, like someone posted, "minimal at best". Guys, post em if you get em...results that is! Cheers all, ITS FRIGGIN FRIDAY!!!!

Mechanically/physically speaking, the principle is completely identical in both cases. Water keeps air out while allowing CO2 to escape. Don't sweat it!

Back