How does my crush look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
How's it look?

image-305866326.jpg

image-4023940715.jpg

Not so great, it's hard to tell for sure but it looks like there are a lot of un-crushed grains there, run it through again or tighten up the gap. IME, .035-.039 is a good gap to have

For biab,I crush it till it looks like it's ready to make all grain bread. Efficiency went way up after I got a paint strainer bag that allows stirring of the mash. That 1 thing made my OG go upfrom 46 to 55.

+1 to not adequate. That crush will probably give you around 55-60%, not more. Lots of broken grains and whole grains. What kind of a mill are you using?

Going to buck the trend here.

If that's conditioned, it looks fine to me. My grain looks like that every time conditioned. I crush at the factory default for the MM2-2.0, which is 0.042" IIRC. Two passes. Once I pour it from one bucket to the next, the ones that appear uncrushed fall right apart. I just finished a batch that BeerSmith tells me somehow hit 95% mash efficiency with a very similar crush.

If that's unconditioned, well, I have no idea then. Sorry.

I don't have a grain mill yet,so I use an old mini food processor we got from my mother ages ago. I fill it about half way with grain,& give it three pulses of about 2 seconds each. Even the crush I get from midwest usually looks like the op's. And since I do biab partial mash partial boil,the finer crush works really well.

When I get my grains double crushed at my home brew store that's what my crush looks like and my efficiency is about 60%. Can't wait till my birthday so I can get my own mill and raise my efficiency.

Back