Yeast started pitched too hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtaylor2k2

Reaction score
I was in autopilot mode when making a starter, and forgot to check the temperature before throwing the yeast into the starter wort. I saw it wasn't steaming and dumped in the smack pack. After doing this, I checked and the temperature was around 110F. If this were a normal batch of beer and i pitched at 110, I would kiss it goodbye because of the fusels it would make. Since this is a starter (as long as the yeast survive) will they be damaged in any way by fermenting at this increased temp? I'll decant off most of the probably nast tasting starter wort before pitching. Should I scrap this starter and go get another smack pack, or am I safe to use this yeast?

Thanks in advance.

yeast react to heat in a way that affects fermentation into the future but it's hard to say what will happen to your particular beer, you may not even notice. if you are making a beer below 1.060 i would just pitch whatever is in the yeast package and skip the starter until my yeast wrangling skills improved.

That is pretty hot for a yeast pitch(if your starter show activity) IMHO probably going to generate off flavors, but then again maybe not. So its kinds a crap shoot. The question you need to ask is are you okay pitching a questionable starter into the beer you work so hard to craft, and risk it. Really it's a personal question.

Back