Resizing batch, Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orfy said:
Hop utilisation changes with volume.
Right. If you boil a certain volume of hops in 2 gallons of concentrated wort, you will extract a lot less bitterness than you would if you were boiling in 5 gallons of less concentrated wort. The first time I did a full boil using an ingredient kit designed for a 2 gallon concentrated boil, I was rather unpleasantly surprised at how bitter the beer came out, so I learned my lesson pretty quick :D

Funkenjäger said:
Right. If you boil a certain volume of hops in 2 gallons of concentrated wort, you will extract a lot less bitterness than you would if you were boiling in 5 gallons of less concentrated wort. The first time I did a full boil using an ingredient kit designed for a 2 gallon concentrated boil, I was rather unpleasantly surprised at how bitter the beer came out, so I learned my lesson pretty quick :D

I am aware that if you double a brew that everything gets doubled. Brewsmith does this incorrectly and makes the IBU's way high! It should adjust hops accordingly to make the IBU's the same for a larger batch, IE from 6 to 12 gallons total finished wort.

I use Beersmith a lot, and have never seen this problem. Are you sure you are using the software correctly? When I double a batch (say from 5 gal to 10 gal), it works perfectly for me, both in version 1.3 and 1.4.

As was mentioned above, you probably have a problem with the boil volumes you are calculating. Beersmith is sensitive (good thing) to the equipment you use and the boil volumes it can handle. Check there - I suspect it is your problem.

If not, please provide some further detail so that we can replicate the same thing so that we can help you to fix your problem.

FlyGuy said:
I use Beersmith a lot, and have never seen this problem. Are you sure you are using the software correctly? When I double a batch (say from 5 gal to 10 gal), it works perfectly for me, both in version 1.3 and 1.4.

As was mentioned above, you probably have a problem with the boil volumes you are calculating. Beersmith is sensitive (good thing) to the equipment you use and the boil volumes it can handle. Check there - I suspect it is your problem.

If not, please provide some further detail so that we can replicate the same thing so that we can help you to fix your problem.

I finally tried to change my equipment and once everything was tripple checked I tried to resize and it worked correctly. I just have to get used to what affects other things when using all the settings. I am trying to evaluate the program and was considering what program to buy. Have you tried others. I was using Promash and was trying others to compare.

WBC said:
I finally tried to change my equipment and once everything was tripple checked I tried to resize and it worked correctly. I just have to get used to what affects other things when using all the settings. I am trying to evaluate the program and was considering what program to buy. Have you tried others. I was using Promash and was trying others to compare.
Glad you got it figured out. The equipment profiles are a bit confusing at first, but they provide some really high level control over your brew design.

And yes, I have used both ProMash and BS. Having used both, I greatly prefer Beersmith. I particularly like the control it gives you for designing batch sparges, which is something lacking in other software. Beersmith is also constantly undergoing revision and improvement to keep on top of new techniques (e.g., late extract additions), and the developer has a forum for user suggestions and improvements. Very nice piece of software.

Thanks Flyguy, I am brewing N. English Brown Ale today and I used Beersmith to design it. I am making a newcastle clone. Thanks for the vote of confidence in Beersmith. I am going to purchase it.

WBC said:
Thanks Flyguy, I am brewing N. English Brown Ale today and I used Beersmith to design it. I am making a newcastle clone. Thanks for the vote of confidence in Beersmith. I am going to purchase it.
Sounds great -- that's one of my favourite styles! Beersmith and ProMash are both great tools to help with that recipe formulation, too. And I am sure that if you spend the $20 to buy Beersmith, you won't regret it.

Cheeer! :mug:

Back