Why do you Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing clones helps me learn what creates the flavors in the beer I brew. If the clone tastes like the original I now know how to create that flavor. If I make changes to the recipe I can find out what those changes do to the flavor and I learn how to craft recipes to create beers that taste how I want them too.

I clone out of pride. "Can I brew Bell's Two Hearted or Southern Tier's Pumking or Lagunitas Doppel Weizen just as good as them?"

So far, my Two Hearted recipes is almost perfect.

I clone to make my beer snob friends say "Damn, that's as good, if not, better than XXXXX."

To know I can make my favorite beers, that are produced in million dollar breweries, in my basement on $35 worth of ingredients and $100 worth of equipment is pretty damn cool.

So, do you share that recipe for Lagunita's Doppel Weisen? I'll add another reason. "cuz the brewery won't make it anymore"! Thanks.

Cloning provides me with homebrew replicas of beers I know are good. As one moves along, more complex clones test and help raise one's brewing skills to new levels. Last year, when I successfully cloned Founders Breakfast Stout and Two Brothers Cane & Ebel, I felt that after five years I had truly arrived as a homebrewer. There may be a time when I'm ready to move into the Ray Daniels world of Designing Great Beers, but that time is not yet.

For me it's usually because it's a beer I can't get locally so it's either one I tried somewhere that I really liked, or one that I've heard really good things about. Also it's kind of cool to test your skills as a brewer to see how close to the original you can get.
this right here. and I only have clone maybe 1:15.

Because it helps connect the dots between what something should taste like and what you put into it. If it doesn't work, you can calibrate your technique to figure out what makes the commercial version work.

I used to clone because it was a good measurement of success of my product. Eventually it turned into using a clone as a jumping off point for coming up with my own brews. For example: I dig me some 2 Hearted so I decided to brew a clone (or an approximation). After I get a recipe down that can be duplicated fairly easily, I will to tweak and add things here and there to make it my own. My winter warmer was anchored by a Smithwicks clone and I built it up from there into what is essentially an English Dubbel. And by that I mean a traditional english brown with honey, belgian candi sugar, and a hybrid english/belgian yeast (Notty on top of a Chimay culture). Nothing but rave reviews so far.

Back