Pliny the Younger Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandom590

Reaction score
I am going to do a Pliny the Younger beer and was wondering which water profile I should go with? I have the potential water profiles below. These will be the profiles after the salt additions. I am thinking the 50% distilled/50% filtered.

Possible Pliny the Younger Water Profiles

100% RO/Distilled Water Profile
Distilled.jpg
Ca: 111ppm Mg: 17 Na: 17 Cl: 47 So4: 284
RA: -118
Quite Bitter profile

100% Filtered Nebraska Water
filtered.jpg
Ca: 108ppm Mg: 15 Na: 46 Cl: 51 So4: 161
RA: -37
More Bitter profile

50% Distilled/50% Filtered Nebraska Water
50%.jpg
Ca: 108ppm Mg: 17 Na: 31 Cl: 54 So4: 227
RA: -88
Extra Bitter profile

I do not what water they use but I would suspect that it is filtered or unfiltered tap water. Try to go to the City of Santa Rosa web page and see if they have a city water profile. I would also call the brewery and ask they will probably tell you what kind of water they use. RRB 725 4th Street Santa Rosa, CA 95404
(707) 545-2337

I would go with the 50/50 it looks best, my ipa I used 350ppm sulfite and 27ppm cl to get that IPA bite. It makes the bitterness more crisp and sharp. They most likely use a modified Burton on Trent water profile. I say modified because the BoT water is too high in some minerals if you use Palmers recomended ppm ranges

The RO water is much closer to ur profile, but u would go with the 50/50, why? Also how did u get ur sulfate so high? I could not get it close to 350 without having excessive Ca or Mg. unless ur local water is already high.

I did the water profile once to burton on trent for an Chinook IPA. Not good, the beer had a bad aftertaste i assume from the excessive Calcium, but smelled amazing and had great bitterness.

I do not get a strong minerality from RR beers. This is likely one of the reasons Pliny is so well-liked -- it relies on hops for its bitterness, not salts. I'll bet they do harden with some gypsum, though, since city water has basically zero sulfate and not enough calcium.

I have a fairly balanced water supply, but I added a lot of gypsum to the mash and mgso4 to mash, then used all distilled water in my sparge, came out with a good mineral profile, just tinkered with the brewing water spreadsheet till I got what I wanted

Latest posts

Back