There's Some Bad Info Going Around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the big take-away message is that putting yeast in wort will make beer. Following the basic directions will make decent beer. Improving on the process through other methods could produce better beer.

Hell, I made a beer with bread yeast. It was fine. Now I use 02 and a big starter. The beer is still fine.

It's what it says on the package. Not kidding! "Sprinkle directly on wort". These are exactly the contradictions I'm referring to. One place says sprinkle it on wort. Another says to rehydrate.

There is some bad information going around, that MrManifesto might know what he's talking about.

rellot said:
There is some bad information going around, that MrManifesto might know what he's talking about.

Really? About a hundred posts ago a guy posted some info and rather than stay entrenched in my opinion, I thanked him and looked into it.

How about instead of being an internet tough guy, you stay humble, quiet and learn something.

It's what it says on the package. Not kidding! "Sprinkle directly on wort". These are exactly the contradictions I'm referring to. One place says sprinkle it on wort. Another says to rehydrate.

Yup, their website says to rehydrate, the package does not...

IMAG0279.jpg

Actually, their website gives two options, so I fail to see the contradiction:
Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C. Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration

Actually, their website gives two options, so I fail to see the contradiction:

An exact contradiction, maybe not. But the preferred method they give on their website is NOT what they put on their package. So while not a literal contradiction, they certainly advocate a different approach on their website vs what they put on their package.

Really? About a hundred posts ago a guy posted some info and rather than stay entrenched in my opinion, I thanked him and looked into it.

How about instead of being an internet tough guy, you stay humble, quiet and learn something.

Okay, will do.

I'm not that tough though. Certainly not as tough as you. Humble and learning something is not what you started with on the OP dude and it is certainly not your attitude now.

Take your lumps dude, you started a stupid post.

Back