Yeast Settling in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch two days ago... took a peak at a bottle and it appears as though some yeast(i think?) has settled at the bottle of some bottles. Looks similar to wha was at the bottom of my secondary. Obvious newb question.. is this normal? Maybe this should be an acronym... ITN?

tomek322 said:
So I bottled my first batch two days ago... took a peak at a bottle and it appears as though some yeast(i think?) has settled at the bottle of some bottles. Looks similar to wha was at the bottom of my secondary. Obvious newb question.. is this normal? Maybe this should be an acronym... ITN?
Very normal.

You added some corn sugar for priming and that is additional food for the yeast. They eat, they have "relations" and they multiply and then you have carbonation.

Yeast on the bottom of the bottle is a good thing.

I think I will try to see where I am at with carbonation and cack one open...

I hate the sediment at the bottom of my bottles. I always end up having to pour homebrew into a glass leaving that last bit in the bottle to dump out. When i pour the whole bottle into a glass the sediment throws off the flavor too much.

Here comes kegging!

tomek322 said:
I think I will try to see where I am at with carbonation and cack one open...
Go ahead, but don't post a "my beer is flat" thread. You really ought to give it at least a week before you "check".

From my experience: 2 days = very flat green beer, 7 days = somewhat carbed but still pretty flat green beer, 10 days usually = carbed green beer, 21 days = decent beer, and 60 days (if you still have some left) = excellent beer.

efreem01 said:
I hate the sediment at the bottom of my bottles. I always end up having to pour homebrew into a glass leaving that last bit in the bottle to dump out. When i pour the whole bottle into a glass the sediment throws off the flavor too much.
Here comes kegging!
I don't know, I think the yeast tastes fine but it will make a beer a little cloudy if you pour the whole bottle.
Just swish the last little bit of beer to get the yeast suspended and swig it down. As was mentioned lots of good vitamin especially vitamin B which you use up processing alcohol.
The only way to avoid this is to keg without priming and force carbonate.
Craig

efreem01 said:

Here comes kegging!

Just pour slowly and leave the last little dribble in the bottle. Eventually it will be second nature.

Besides, why would you want to drink it from the bottle? Then your nose and eyes can't appreciate your creation. ;)

So I opened a beer. It has carbonation. Tastes like... well... beer.

Is there concern about too much carbonation? i.e. is the amount of carbonation proportional to the time the bottles sit at room temperature? Do i need to get them to a cool place after a while? If so, will a basement do? Or must I dedicate a refrigerator to beer?

You will know when you have too much carbonation (bombs). If you put the right amount of priming sugar and filled bottles to proper amount then don't worry about it. Don't stress, have a homebrew!

I noticed that some botles are hissing? Do i need to retighten the cap or re-cap completely? I am using polish beer bottles and one of those red cappers that you press on two sides and the cap snaps on.

EDIT: posted in the bottling forum. please disregard

Back