WLP090 San Francisco Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
So has anyone used White Labs limited San Diego Super yeast yet?

I've got 2 tubes on the way and was thinking about doing a IIIPA, a Hefty RIS, or maybe a barley wine. Just wanted to know if anyone has used it as of yet. :mug:

I'm making a black ipa with it this weekend. I'll report back. I'm hoping it'll attenuate even better than Safale-05.

Tried it. Seems *very* finicky to temperature. Pitched at 64F (my usual) and saw absolutely no action for nearly 24 hours (White Labs says it's good only between 65-68 -- a tight, tight range -- something I didn't realize until I already ordered).

At 24 hours, I freaked out, pitched Safale-05 -- so now I'm probably overpitching by a wide margin (presuming the San Diego yeast -- two tubes -- survived the summer trip to Chicago from NB). My fear was that since it's been so hot here, the yeast died in the tubes in transit -- so, as I say, I pitched the 05.

24 hours after the 05 pitch, the beer -- a black IPA -- has gone from 1.074 to 1.032 or so. Not sure if this is the Safale or the San Diego. Regardless, I'll never order liquid yeast in the summer again. Even when I make starters, the yeast seems never to survive the trip. (Local shop carries only a few varieties -- so I always have to mail order.)

This reminds me that Safale -- 04 and 05 -- are the best yeasts for 99% of my beers, kolsch, hefes, and belgians excepted. I shoulda just pitched the 05 and got the fermentation going 6 hours after brewing instead of waiting 24 hours.

Tasted it, and it tastes great -- still a bit sweet but nice hoppy, chocolate kick -- but no off-tastes, so I think all will be well. I kick myself for ordering liquid yeasts -- White Labs, Wyeast -- it's just never worth it when dry yeast these days does a great job and never needs a starter. :(

Back