4 vines @ 10ft = 2 vines @ 20ft??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I've got second year cascades in the ground, growing 2 vines per plant. However I am only able to get a 10' trellis. One of the plants is almost that high.

So instead of trying to get 2 vines up to 20' I thought of letting more vines comeup some more training string to 10'.

I was wondering, theoretically, if the yield from 4 vines going 10' high would equal the yield from 2 vines going up to 20'?

You will get a decent yield, but probably not as much as full height plants. Reaching full height creates thickening and increased horizontal growth (which is where cones are formed).

You will get a decent yield, but probably not as much as full height plants. Reaching full height creates thickening and increased horizontal growth (which is where cones are formed).

Right. You can't exactly tell them to only grow 10'. They'll keep growing, flopping back on themselves and wrapping around. I have a trellis I use, and I have to train them back and forth across the top. They keep trying to go up, even though there is nothing for them to grab onto.

they will even team up and use 2-3 bines working together to reach higher than one could do by itself.

I put up an ugly 18' high pole in the centre of 3 plants and ran 3 pieces of sisel rope from the peak down to my 10' high trellis (another rope). Looks like a steeple now! I'm sure the neighbours will love it.

this thread was just the kick in the butt i needed to get them a little higher.

Latest posts

Back