2007 Hop Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
This seems WAY too early for buds....what are you feeding those things?

Just water every other day and spent grain and hops. I did till the soil around them and added a cow manure/potting soil mix around them to form a raised bed right before they broke ground.

Dude said:
This seems WAY too early for buds....what are you feeding those things?

You have to remember he's in Georgia. Its hotter than VA. Your plants will take off when the hot days of June become a regular thing. They will grow 8-12" per day. You will be amazed at the growth rate!

My hops are at 6.5' right now. I transplanted them after the Jan-Feb bulldozing fiasco. When I transplanted them I dug a 1' deep hole by 1.5' wide. Dropped in a 40lbs bag of manure. Then I dug up the root base put it on the manure and put another bag a black dirt over top. Last of all covered it with cyprus mulch. Mulch does a fine job of keeping moisture in the dirt.

Mine also get 7-8 hours of full sun. Every 3 days some water. The first year you need to water every other day if it doesn't rain. Use lots of Miracle Grow. Also you need to pick off some the leaves next month so you don't get white mildew from all the moisture. Start at 2 ft going down to the ground. (Should have at least 8' of bine) Its also a good idea to make a baking soda/water spray to keep mildew away. One tablespoon baking soda and 1 gal water, do so in the morning or evening once or twice a week.

You are right about the buds. In Iowa harvest time is in August through early September.

bah....I found some leaf damage on a couple or my plants today so I sprayed them with Safer. hopefully things work out.

new problem....the tips of some of the leaves are turning yellow/brown. is this a result of too much/not enough water? I water them everyday.

Hey,,it's almost harvest time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1332-cascade528-2.jpg

Check these Cascades out, this is last years rhizome. I'm wondering how long before I can pick some..
1332-cent528-1.jpg

Here are my Centennials they aren't quite as big yet.
1332-both528.jpg

Here's both of them, the line is getting heavy..

Mine are finally starting to take off too--they looked like they were all dead after I transplanted them from pots, but they finally put some new vines out and they're growing at least 2in a day.

We're alternating between frost and fire, but the Fuggles is over ten feet. It's three years old.

The easiest way to test hops is the German flick method: Hit a hanging flower with your finger as if you were launching a spitwad (you know who you are). If the flower snaps off the vine leaving very little still attached, it is dry enough to harvest. The flowers don't start drying out until they have stopped adding resin.

Consider making a Fresh Hop ale, right off the bine.

david_42 said:
Consider making a Fresh Hop ale, right off the bine.
I want to do this if I get enough hops this year (my plants are only a few inches tall so far). How do you go about figuring out how many hops to use? Do you just use them for late additions or do you just try to guesstimate amounts for bittering?

Thanks for any hints.

Craig

I'm planning on only using them for late additions. I need more control over my IBU's than I'll get if I use them for bittering. And anyway, that's where you're going to notice the biggest difference. Bittering is bittering, pretty much.

That's what I did last year, we got about 3oz of wet hops from both mine and I made a Fresh Hop Ale with those 3oz's added in at 30-15 min. It came out pretty good can't wait to make it again.

Brewiz said:
Hey,,it's almost harvest time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1332-cascade528-2.jpg

Check these Cascades out, this is last years rhizome. I'm wondering how long before I can pick some..

YEAH BABY! Upskirt hops shots! Nice. Woo Hoo! Show us what you got darlings!!:fro:
...hhrmmpff... pardon me, I got overly excited.

Eh, I only got maybe 12inches of growth so far on my Cascade. Look out, I'm sure they'll catch up...eventually.

How big is yours(hops)?:mug:

what is a good killer/repellent for Japanese beetles? They are destroying some of my leaves.

I've been using Safer but they don't list Japanese beetles on the bottle.

As far as estimating quantity, figure 5-6 times as much by weight. I just use a typical value for the AA in the bittering equation. For a Fresh Hop ale, the flavor and aroma are the best part. Plan a flame-out addition for any Pale or IPA.

Newbie brewer and grower here: I planted a Cascade, a Chinook, and Fuggles rhizomes when the ground was finally warm enough about a month ago. But no activity at all. I got impatient and frustrated, and carefully dug them up today. No growth at all. In fact, ends of the Cascade are split and looks like it may be rotting already. Should I give it up on these three? Or put them back in and just wait for warmer weather?

I took this pic this afternoon. 10 weeks going. We've had some good rains here in Austin. Hop buds are sprouting all over. The tallest is over 10 ft. so far.

4569-Hops.JPG

FW - I doubt your growing season is long enough for hops. The Fuggles might produce as it is an early season hop, but both Cascades & Chinook are late season. Put them back in the ground, they grow or die.

My Fuggles is over the top (14') and the tip is slowly weaving back & forth looking for some where else to climb.

Edwort, your babies are coming along nicely! Did you put deer fence up after losing some or were you thinking ahead?

Here's my babies!
Brewer's gold at 9 weeks
DSCN1566.jpg

Cascade 9 weeks...
DSCN1569.jpg

Williamette at 7 weeks...
DSCN1574.jpg

Frosty Wort said:
Newbie brewer and grower here: I planted a Cascade, a Chinook, and Fuggles rhizomes when the ground was finally warm enough about a month ago. But no activity at all. I got impatient and frustrated, and carefully dug them up today. No growth at all. In fact, ends of the Cascade are split and looks like it may be rotting already. Should I give it up on these three? Or put them back in and just wait for warmer weather?
you might want to use large planters so that you can extend the growing season indoors in the spring when the bines are short

Well ok, mine is just a baby compared to the rest of you guys, but still not too bad for a first year plant.

Fuggles at 7 weeks.

3394-Hops.jpg

Chimone said:
Well ok, mine is just a baby compared to the rest of you guys, but still not too bad for a first year plant.

Fuggles at 7 weeks.

Your fuggles are doing great at 7 weeks, better than my Willamette at 7 wks(1st year). Checked the Willam's this morn and found something had munched on the leaves. I'm not using anything to keep bugs away. Suppose I should pick up some Sevin to help the little guys out, that or my brother tells me to spray a diluted solution of Murphys oil soap on leaves.

By the way Chimone, Thank you for the Blonde Bombshell Ale recipe. I served it at a graduation party and it was a big hit. I even got a couple of remarks that the beer "...did not taste like most homebrew that I have had before. This is much better! I think I'll have another.:mug: " Boy did that put a :) on my face. And it was only my 2nd or 3rd all-grain brew!

uuurang said:
Chimone said:

Fuggles at 7 weeks.

Your fuggles are doing great at 7 weeks, better than my Willamette at 7 wks(1st year). Checked the Willam's this morn and found something had munched on the leaves.

Yeah, same with me. None of my first years are that big (fuggle, kent golding, or sterling). Oh well, they're still growing! :tank:

uuurang said:
By the way Chimone, Thank you for the Blonde Bombshell Ale recipe. I served it at a graduation party and it was a big hit. I even got a couple of remarks that the beer "...did not taste like most homebrew that I have had before. This is much better! I think I'll have another.:mug: " Boy did that put a :) on my face. And it was only my 2nd or 3rd all-grain brew!

Sweet!!! I love that recipe so much. Glad it turned out great for you too!

the_Roqk said:
What killed them? Lack of water, disease, too much fertilizer....

First the Japanese beetles got to them.... once they began to recover from that it got insanely hot here. I watered everyday it didn't rain but I guess it wasn't enough... plus I don't think my soil is very good. next year I'll have to put down some fertilizer/top soil... I did use miracle grow a few times but I guess that didn't help.

todd_k said:
First the Japanese beetles got to them.... once they began to recover from that it got insanely hot here. I watered everyday it didn't rain but I guess it wasn't enough... plus I don't think my soil is very good. next year I'll have to put down some fertilizer/top soil... I did use miracle grow a few times but I guess that didn't help.

That almost sounds what happened to mine, except for the beetles. Actually I have only the cascades that are left out of four (Cascade, Fuggle, Nugget, Willamette). All the rest didn't really grow. Willamette died after a few days above ground. Fuggle did the same. My Nugget got to around 2 ft and then wilted over and died. I watered almost everyday and the soil was fertilized prior to planting. My lowly Cascades have stopped at around 4 ft with very little growth. Maybe next year.

All eight of mine are still alive, the Sunbeam barely. Should have moderate crops from four of them. I think the Sunbeam gets replaced next spring, it's a loser.

david_42 said:
All eight of mine are still alive, the Sunbeam barely. Should have moderate crops from four of them. I think the Sunbeam gets replaced next spring, it's a loser.

Having great conditions for growing hops in the PNW is, I guess, one of the trade offs for the SUCKY weather we have right now. Feels like october today - raining and 52F:mad:

I planted 4 rhizomes and did fairly well. I planted them in a hole with half a bag of compost. They were only watered occasionally since they were at my parents and no where near a water source. We had about a month long drought and a couple weeks of highs in the 90s. There were a few bugs but nothing of concern. All 4 grew very well, reaching the top of my parents pole barn (about 12 ft). All but the Willamette look to have a decent crop of flowers too. I'm looking forward to harvest in a week or two and making a fresh hop IPA.

Craig

Well, I planted brand new rhizomes earlier in the year. Didn't expect much out of them...I don't really have the ideal hop trellis. It's just horizontal cables about 8 feet high. But they did okay, mostly just leaves and vine growth...until I looked a couple days ago, and voila...finally...some cascade cones! I know I shouldn't be expecting much from a first growth year, but hey...cool!

Back