Cold Crashing 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Im cold crashing a cider I hope. When it reaches 5.0 and still taste sweet. OG 1.064 I thougt after 2 days I would chill just incase I miss my window, as I get busy, I checked SG and it was only 1.058 Boooooooo, so out of the fridge and back out to hopefully ferment. Im using Redstar champegn yeast.

After it reaces 5.o and sweet taste I plan on crasing again the whole batch for 1 week in the fridge with a vanilla bean for taste. Then I was planing on racking it without more sugar since it will not ferment out dry, it will be crashed at 1.024....... SO:fro:ban:

Questons: how long will it take to start fermentation back up?

Once it reaches 5.0 how do I rack it into bottles leaving enough yeast to carbonate the bottles?

by cold crashing before fermentation is complete you are just really stalling it. if there are still fermentable sugars left, they yeast will eventually ferment them out. if you bottle prior to the beer finishing you will have bottle bombs. if you are trying to stop fermentation at a given gravity/alcohol content you will have to kill the yeast... then you will have a hard time naturally carbing them.

by cold crashing before fermentation is complete you are just really stalling it. if there are still fermentable sugars left, they yeast will eventually ferment them out. if you bottle prior to the beer finishing you will have bottle bombs. if you are trying to stop fermentation at a given gravity/alcohol content you will have to kill the yeast... then you will have a hard time naturally carbing them.

Yep. It'll only stay "stopped" until you warm it back up. Them BOOM! if it's bottled and out of the fridge.

Back