bjcp category for imperial chocolate stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Going to enter an imperial triple chocolate stout in a local comp and wondering if it should go in 13F russian imperial or 23 specialty. Everything falls in RIS guidelines except ibu which is a little low at around 36. Fyi I used cocoa powder in it.

I would probably go specialty depending on how prominent the chocolate is. If it is fairly subtle you could go with 13F; if it is intense then I would go with specialty.

Really?
I'd say 23 if it's not too much.

Beers only fit in 23 if they fit nowhere else.

Classic styles (other than Belgian) with chocolate added clearly fit in 21A.

Comments for 21A:

This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers.

Commercial Examples

Alesmith Speedway Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Traquair Jacobite Ale, Rogue Chipotle Ale, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, Bell’s Java Stout, Fraoch Heather Ale, Southampton Pumpkin Ale, Rogue Hazelnut Nectar, Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Ale, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Left Hand JuJu Ginger Beer, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Dogfish Head Midas Touch, Redhook Double Black Stout, Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, BluCreek Herbal Ale, Christian Moerlein Honey Almond, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Birrificio Baladin Nora, Cave Creek Chili Beer

thanks for the heads up - looking at 21 as we speak. The chocolate flavor is fairly pronounced as i used 8oz cocoa powder in it along with chocolate and the dehusked carafa I in it.

Just an fyi (i don;t have the recipe in front of me)

og was 1.090
fg was 1.0225
IBU is around 36
alchohol around 9%

thanks for the heads up - looking at 21 as we speak. The chocolate flavor is fairly pronounced as i used 8oz cocoa powder in it along with chocolate and the dehusked carafa I in it.

Just an fyi (i don;t have the recipe in front of me)

og was 1.090
fg was 1.0225
IBU is around 36
alchohol around 9%

On second thought... I may need to taste this to determine exactly where it should go... :cross:

Remilard is correct - 21A is the more appropriate category than 23.

But if you decide to put it in 21A, be sure that the chocolate is evident. If it is too subtle, you will get dinged by some judges for not placing the beer in the appropriate style (e.g., 13F).

The same goes true for Cat 23 (a very misunderstood category). You must identify your intent as a brewer (unlike most other styles where the 'target' or intent of the brewer has been defined for you). If a judge can't identify the atypical characters of the beer that put it in the specialty category and associate with the stated intention of the brewer, then it is likely to get scored down. In other words, if the judge thinks it would be more appropriate to judge it in a different category, your beer may not be 'Special' enough for category 23!

Thanks guys for getting me straightened out. I ended up getting a 35 and a 39 with my recipe. I was planning on placing (aren't we all) but was pleased with results. Thanks again for looking out for your fellow homebrewer!! --B :ban: P.S. if you want me to pm or post my recipe, just let me know. There are no secrets in B's brewery!!

Back