Couple of bottelling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Hey!

My first batch of cider is ready to be bottled this weekend, and i plan to carbonate it.

ATM its in a 6 gallon fermentation barrel, and fermentation has finished for a good week now, bubbling has stopped, and hydrometer readings have been the same.

How would i carbonate this? I would like to add sugar or juice, whichever is easier to a bucket, rather than prime each bottle. Also i have one batch of this cider, the one id like to bottle, from a concentrate cider kit. I have another from fresh pressed apples, can i carb these in the same way, whichever way that is?

Second question, i dont have that many glass bottles, as i dont plan to age this cider for 3+months, as its a turbo cider kit, can i bottle it into like, 2 litre coke bottle? The big plastic ones, or will they be no good. Also if i can use these, will they force carb my cider aswell?

First of all I would say wait as long as you can before bottling. With cider it is not just done active fermentation, you want to give the yeast time to clean up and let the cider clear. (my apologies if this is where your at.)
If you have a bottling bucket, add the sugar, or 2 cans of unfrozen apple juice concentrate would work, then rack the cider into the bucket. That will mix things up. Then bottle, and let sit for a month.
I have bottled beer, cider, and meads in re-used 2 litre soda bottles with no problems. Just clean them out very well unless you want soda flavored cider. Sanitize and go to town with them.
They hold pressure very well and I have yet to have a problem with them. (I have a co-worker who drinks soda like it's air, so I get a lot of them.)

thanks!

Im gonna bottle my kit cider, and just see how it goes, but i will leave m fresh pressed apples for a while.
I plan to blend them with my next batch, as there slightly tart atm so i have no worries about leaving them for ages.

And good, i have laods of them bottles lying around!

Back