Herms Coil Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhockey

Reaction score
I'm trying to make another herms coil for a friend and have already coiled the 25 foot roll of copper with no problem around a cornie, now comes the hard part.. The last time I did one I used a 1/2 bender to make the 90 degree turns, the issue arises that at the time I had one.. It seems to have walked off and I was wondering if anyone had another way to make the 90 degree bends required with out kniking the pipe like i've done so many wasteful times.

Spring benders are cheap. Expecially if you can get just one size. I wouldn't touch it until you get one. I have screwed up just about every time I tried to bend copper without a lever-style or spring bender.

I'd suggest a 90* elbow and sweat fitting the bends. You can get a torch and solider at any hardware or lumberyard and will get a much better finish product. After it is done you get a new tool that you will use more often than you ever thought.

If you step up to a torch with a "Trigger Start" it works great to light the Grill or the Burner for your HBrew.

Thanks for the suggestions i'm probably going to break down and pick up a spring bender. I'm not to sure about the elbow trying to have as few joints as possible since there will be hot sugar water running though the line, just think it you start to cake up over time, specially with my plumbing skills.

Back