Bulk Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay075j

Reaction score
After years of having my grains milled at my LHBS, I finally bought a Barley Crusher, and am now planning out my bulk grain inventory. I have settled on 2-row, Marris Otter, and Wheat as my base grains and all will be in a 50lb bag. I know that the grains need to be kept in a cool and dry environment. My question is how does everyone here keep their bulk grains? I have seen that some keep them in buckets, but that's going to be a heck of a lot of buckets.

I was thinking of getting some of those larger plastic storage bins with the locking lids, and adding a strip of weather strip to the top of the container to help create a tighter seal, and then just keeping the bags in them.

Does anyone have any better solution, or other ideas?

Thanks all!

I keep mine in the garage in new aluminum trash cans. The grain is in plastic bags which keeps it dry and fresh and the metal trash cans keep out any vermin that might be interested. I lined any sharp spots with duct tape to keep it from ripping bags.

I just started buying in bulk as well, and several people recommended the Homer buckets from Home Depot. I took the recommendation myself and picked up a few. They are under $5 for the bucket and a lid, and hold 25# of grain each. I've also lined them with trash bags to keep moisture out, and freshness in. Here's a pic:

sth70661.jpg

I just started buying in bulk as well, and several people recommended the Homer buckets from Home Depot. I took the recommendation myself and picked up a few. They are under $5 for the bucket and a lid, and hold 25# of grain each. I've also lined them with trash bags to keep moisture out, and freshness in. Here's a pic:

:off: but, Are those Food safe? Could they be used to transfer running to boil kettle from mashtun?

Back On Topic. I've also been looking into this as I want to start crushing my own this year and buying in Bulk. Stackable buckets seem to be the nicest solution for me.

It depends on your environment if it's out side rats, raccoons and squirels can chew thur plastic you'll need a metal can like Ed

i put what i could in a large freezer
for the stuff that didn't fit, i used a bottle bucket with a broken spiget handle to store 25# of grain in. i used the lid and fitted an airlock to it. I didn't end up using up the grain for 8-10 months. But as i used it, it was fresh smelling and free of vermin. never encountered anything that gave me pause abou tusing the grain.

:off: but, Are those Food safe? Could they be used to transfer running to boil kettle from mashtun?

Back On Topic. I've also been looking into this as I want to start crushing my own this year and buying in Bulk. Stackable buckets seem to be the nicest solution for me.

Yep, they are marked with "HDPE" and the number 2 inside the hippie triangle. Can't remember which thread, but someone even got HD to contact their supplier and check...and their supplier said they were indeed food safe. Not sure I'd put hot stuff inside an orange pigment bucket tho :D.

I echo the Vittle Vaults recommendation. But, I prefer the Soft Store bag version so I can store them in irregular places in my pantry.

31ddUHrDxzL._AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use the Homer buckets w/out liners. As previously stated they hold 25 lbs perfectly. Coincidence....I think not. They were made w/ homebrewers in mind:mug:

Yep, they are marked with "HDPE" and the number 2 inside the hippie triangle. Can't remember which thread, but someone even got HD to contact their supplier and check...and their supplier said they were indeed food safe. Not sure I'd put hot stuff inside an orange pigment bucket tho :D.

Hmmmm according to this board they e-mailed the manufacturer and were told the white ones were food safe but the orange weren't....
How many are vacuum packing flour and sugar in Mason Jars? - Survivalist Forum

#2 HDPE doesn't mean it's automatically food safe. The dyes used to make the buckets colored aren't always food safe and I think food safe have to be made from virgin materials, some buckets could be recycled material. Lined would be fine I imagine though, I was probably going to pickup a bunch since they're on sale at mine right now for $2.79.

Just to clear things up a bit, I have emailed the mfr. rep at Leaktite and got the response that the buckets (across the board, regardless of color) are NOT considered food-grade. However, upon further investigation on their website I saw that the only buckets they offered for sale in orange are food grade buckets that can be custom printed with your company's logo/graphics. I drew my own conclusions, which in this case means that I personally store my grain in unlined orange Homer buckets and don't lose any sleep over it.

If it worries you, there are plenty of other options.

I should also note that HD recently switched from carrying the opaque white Leaktite buckets to a translucent clear bucket from another manufacturer which is explicitly marked "Food Grade" - so that may be another source of confusion. But those don't have the gasketed lid, IIRC.

One more thing - the price break is permanent according to the cashier at my local HD. New corporate policy to cut prices on all HD-branded items.

One note about lining your homer buckets with trash bags.

Can I store food for a party in GLAD Trash Bags?
No. GLAD Trash Bags are not recommended for food storage. However, GLAD Food Bags and GladWare® Containers are ideal for food storage and come in various sizes to suit your needs.

Our other trash and garbage products are made from plastic resins that are not recommended for food storage use. Of course, the resin used for GLAD Food Storage Bags has been approved by the FDA for contact with foods.

Try pet food containers. They are typically air tight to keep the food inside dry.
Thats what I use they are cheap at Target you can get one that will hold 70# or so of grain. My adjuncts are in tupperware type containers (made for flour sugar cereal etc) also cheap at Target, they have sizes that will hold 1, 2, 3, 5 &10lbs nicely.

we use a dog food storage bin. it holds exactly 55lbs. with some head room it has a large seal opening and a smaller sealed opening for scoops. cost about 10 bucks.

we use a dog food storage bin. it holds exactly 55lbs. with some head room it has a large seal opening and a smaller sealed opening for scoops. cost about 10 bucks.

Alright, this sounds interesting! I would love to see where you got those for 10 bucks!

I use icing buckets, easy to stack, air tight, and food safe. 2 will hold an entire sack as long as you brew a batch right off the bat :)

After years of having my grains milled at my LHBS, I finally bought a Barley Crusher, and am now planning out my bulk grain inventory. I have settled on 2-row, Marris Otter, and Wheat as my base grains and all will be in a 50lb bag. I know that the grains need to be kept in a cool and dry environment. My question is how does everyone here keep their bulk grains? I have seen that some keep them in buckets, but that's going to be a heck of a lot of buckets.

I was thinking of getting some of those larger plastic storage bins with the locking lids, and adding a strip of weather strip to the top of the container to help create a tighter seal, and then just keeping the bags in them.

Does anyone have any better solution, or other ideas?

Thanks all!
Try searching on line for 55 gal plastic drums that are food grade. I use two to store my grain and the lids have a rubber seal in them that keeps everything air tight. I have grain in them from last April's bulk grain buy and the grain smells fresh and wonderful everytime you open the lid. Mine came from a applesauce factory in Adams county Pa, close to Gettysburg. Do an on line search and see what you can find.

They ship USPS and my mail carrier brought one per day for three days. They are somewhat bulky but smaller than 55 gallon drums of course. They were in excellent condition. The handles are tougher than they look in the pictures and the lids clamp tight on an o-ring. They certainly appear to be air tight. Only problem I have is finding room for them. :( They stack well too.

I wasn't quite ready for bulk grain, and I'm still not, but I bought them because I was afraid they might not be available later. It looks like I was right.

Latest posts

Back