jam wines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctwtp

Reaction score
Been reading through some old books (50/60s) and jam wines keep croping up, just wondering if people have had success with these?
Plus keep reading a juice and jam combination are quick at maturing? Was thinking of putting this to practice with a blueberry wine seen as fresh are so expensive i was considering blueberry juice with 2 jam pots of blueberry jam any thoughts?

Been reading through some old books (50/60s) and jam wines keep croping up, just wondering if people have had success with these?
Plus keep reading a juice and jam combination are quick at maturing? Was thinking of putting this to practice with a blueberry wine seen as fresh are so expensive i was considering blueberry juice with 2 jam pots of blueberry jam any thoughts?

Many folks have had great success with jam wines, finally a use for all those jars your relatives gave you at christmas.:ban:

Thats good to hear, what about shop brought jams?
I would say so but I'm the only one that makes jams at home but thankfully i have enough to spare

Thats good to hear, what about shop brought jams?
I would say so but I'm the only one that makes jams at home but thankfully i have enough to spare

Absolutely, if you see some Smuckers jam on for half price stock up!

When grocery shopping I can't stop thinking "I could turn that into wine".

Just what i was thinking, i hardly think they would end up being harmful but suppose it a case of *would they stop the yeast* i do read a lot in books that fruit juice with preservative is dissipated on pouring so maybe when you stir it up with water that does the same thing

this has me curious. Any preservatives you should avoid in jams?

Avoid sodium benzoate, other than that use 48 oz jam per gallon and check the SG before you bump up the sugar. Every jam wine I have made was ready to consume within 3 months, and aged well.
Commercial jams are fine too.

Avoid sodium benzoate, other than that use 48 oz jam per gallon and check the SG before you bump up the sugar. Every jam wine I have made was ready to consume within 3 months, and aged well.
Commercial jams are fine too.

Wow, good to know! I never considered jams before, but they make a lot of sense.

Its funny really, there's fruit and sugar in a concentrated form and it never occurred to me at all until i saw it in some of my grandads old notes.
Gonna try and do a strawberry and elderflower wine using only jams and cordials, apparently its very quick to mature

Make sure you watch for potassium sorbate in the ingredients, as that won't help your ferment, but there are ways around it (from what I've read)

I've got my first batch of strawberry rhubarb jam wine on the go right now.. Will report back with results within a year!

Make sure you watch for potassium sorbate in the ingredients, as that won't help your ferment, but there are ways around it (from what I've read)

I've got my first batch of strawberry rhubarb jam wine on the go right now.. Will report back with results within a year!

K-sorbate in jam, or commercial juice, will not interfere with a ferment. It is at a level to prevent wild ferment from occurring. Once you add desired yeast it will take off. Now benzoate is the big bad wolf, avoid it like the plague.

I suspect you will not have to wait a year on your jam wine, more like 90-120 days. Very consistent no matter the jam I use, homemade vs commercial.

How about quality? Can you compare a jam wine to something we may have already made/drunk?

All I can say is every time I take a few jam wines with me to a gathering, along with other wines that people bring, the jam wine disappears. Jam is simply fruit and sugar, typically at a 1:1 ratio, cup for cup fruit to sugar. You can finish it dry, choose to oak, or sweeten it up--all great.
Very cost effective too! Throw a gallon batch together and odds are you will soon be stalking jam aisles buying them on sale or in bulk sizes. Good stuff.

All I can say is every time I take a few jam wines with me to a gathering, along with other wines that people bring, the jam wine disappears. Jam is simply fruit and sugar, typically at a 1:1 ratio, cup for cup fruit to sugar. You can finish it dry, choose to oak, or sweeten it up--all great.
Very cost effective too! Throw a gallon batch together and odds are you will soon be stalking jam aisles buying them on sale or in bulk sizes. Good stuff.

Great info Sara. :) Seems a cost effective way to try new/exotic fruits. This one will go into the queue!

Made over the weekend, strawberry and elderflower 'cheat' wine. 2 jars a of jam 1 bottle of elderflower cordial all mixed up and poured into a demijohn, no sugar added seen as s.g was 1.076.
Smells amazing!! Just hope it ends up tasting nice

ForumRunner_20130206_204039.jpg

ForumRunner_20130206_204056.jpg

Both pics are of the same wine the first one i removed a little must just incase of explosive fermentation but it didn't so i racked it off some of the bigger lees and topped up, perfect.

I've got a jam wine that has been fermenting for a year sluggishly and is still sweet. I assumed I threw something with preservatives in there. Do you think some yeast nutrient would help?

When making these wines, are you using pectic enzyme or will the yeast use all of the available fruit without it? If you don't use the enzyme, will this cause a fermentation to "stick"?

When making these wines, are you using pectic enzyme or will the yeast use all of the available fruit without it? If you don't use the enzyme, will this cause a fermentation to "stick"?

Even with enzyme the ferment may get stuck. I think it ranges from 0.001-0.010

Back