Ordering kits Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am typically brewing from kits as I don't yet have enough experience to make my own recipes. I usually get my kits from my LHBS. I was thinking of ordering a kit online. However I am worried about the ingredients being shipped? I thought the yeast and hops were supposed to be refrigerated. Has anyone had any issues with this, especially with summer coming.

Most online shops have the option of adding ice packs. They're the type you can then keep and use in coolers and lunch bags. Just try and pick a vendor somewhat close and time your order so it doesn't sit in as warehouse over the weekend.

I order kits from morebeer.com all the time. Their kits do not come with yeast so you could go to your LHBS and pick up your favorite liquid yeast if you like. I usually just order a couple packs of dry yeast along with my kit.

. However I am worried about the ingredients being shipped?

All the ingredients at the LHBS were shipped there, then sat until someone in the local pool of homebrewers wandered in and bought it.

Why would you worry about ingredients being shipped from a bulk inventory mover?
I can't think of a place that doesn't have a cold pack option for liquid yeast.

I've never opted for the ice-pack option, and I've never had an issue ordering yeast, hops, or malt from a reputable online supplier... even in the dead of Summer.

You'll be fine as long as shipping doesn't take an inordinate amount of time.

the Morebeer.com Irish Stout kit I just cracked into - No problems, nice, nice, nice. Came with liquid yeast - non refridgerated (back in Feb). Nice, nice nice. I say go for it. I think I'll have another.

PS. Liquid yeast, make a starter.

I have ordered about 10 kits on-line and always go for the Wyeast option. I have not had a single issue yet and the yeast I get from the on-line shops is actually fresher (by date at least) than my LHBS. I have ordered from Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, and Austin Brew so far.

I am typically brewing from kits as I don't yet have enough experience to make my own recipes. I usually get my kits from my LHBS. I was thinking of ordering a kit online. However I am worried about the ingredients being shipped? I thought the yeast and hops were supposed to be refrigerated. Has anyone had any issues with this, especially with summer coming.

There are lots of good recipes available on the interwebs. Take a look at Northern Brewer's kits (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits). If you find a kit that sounds interesting click on the "Additional Information" tab below the description of the kit and it will give you the recipe/instructions for that particular kit. This way you have a valid recipe, but can still source your ingredients through your LHBS.

Back