Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ivegot2legs said:
Unfortunately I couldn't make MLBA Thursday. Did you make it? I think we met at John's homebrew tasting a few weeks ago.

I did make it for about an hour. It was a pumpkin beer tasting and the lecture was on adding spices.

I was at John's as well. Brought the pumpkin braggot I think.

Im doing 10g of Pumpkin (for somebody else) and 10g of Brown Ale tomorrow.... long double AG brew day.

wuss. Sunday I did 10 gal house pale, 10 gal DBIPA (stone 15th anniv clone), and helped wifey and friends do 5 gal of a pumpkin beer. Consequently the wife is currently rigging blow off tubes (should have done that in the first place), as everything is blowing the airlocks right now.

wuss. Sunday I did 10 gal house pale, 10 gal DBIPA (stone 15th anniv clone), and helped wifey and friends do 5 gal of a pumpkin beer. Consequently the wife is currently rigging blow off tubes (should have done that in the first place), as everything is blowing the airlocks right now.

I am but one man...

Hopefully can make it to the MLBA meeting next month and met john at his shop for the first time this morning. great dude.

He really is the man. Definitely not the cheapest place to buy supplies but I still go there to give him my business.

Anyone going to the MLBA Oktoberfest party this Saturday?

I dont know how you do it, I brewed 2x 10 gallon batches on Saturday and by the end I just wanted it to be over.

I dont know how you do it, I brewed 2x 10 gallon batches on Saturday and by the end I just wanted it to be over.

easy peasy. Just double up on your down time. Doing a double batch only takes an hour and a half longer than one batch. Once I finish collecting into the BK, I dump the MLT and refill/fire it to get up to strike temp. By the time I hit the protien break, I'm doughing in again. Just need to make sure you're doing same boil length or shorter brews.

Has anyone watched the Philly episode of brew dogs yet? I enjoy the show but they really screwed this one up. It makes me question their recommendations for other cities.

temple240 said:
Cliff Notes: Iron Hill made the list for best brewery and Barcade won best beer bar. Ugh...

Wow. I had some episodes on my DVR, hadn't watched any yet. Guess I can delete them now.

Question gang...has anybody done any of the VIP sessions to any Starfish Junction festivals? Getting a group together for the Craft Festival on March 1st, and debating if we should do VIP.

Cliff Notes: Iron Hill made the list for best brewery and Barcade won best beer bar. Ugh...

I didn't see it, but I guess it depends on the criteria. The Iron Hill in Chestnut Hill is pretty damn good. Paul is an awesome brewer. Who would you rather see up there? If they are going Iron Hill overall, well they have some damn good brewers at other locations as well. But might be a stretch.

Barcade, maybe for the novelty? If nothing else, there are too many beer bars in the city to pick just one from. I mean, who would you go with? Personally, you can have Monks. yeah, they get some hard to find stuff, but it's usually next to impossible to get in the door. I'm not knocking them, just saying without myself knowing the criteria for what they picked, I don't see them being all that bad of selections.

dfess1 said:
I didn't see it, but I guess it depends on the criteria. The Iron Hill in Chestnut Hill is pretty damn good. Paul is an awesome brewer. Who would you rather see up there? If they are going Iron Hill overall, well they have some damn good brewers at other locations as well. But might be a stretch..

I agree with this. Maybe bc the chestnut hill location is the one I go to, I've always thought they were underrated. Everyone seems to knock them.

All time favorite...Gray Lodge. Also, if Monk's is your think and it's too crowded for you, try Grace Tavern which is maybe a 10 minute walk. It's all in some way connected to Tom Peters...I think he owns both.

BeerMeDuffMan said:
All time favorite...Gray Lodge. Also, if Monk's is your think and it's too crowded for you, try Grace Tavern which is maybe a 10 minute walk. It's all in some way connected to Tom Peters...I think he owns both.

I work at the Navy base in NE Philly and we'd go to the Gray Lodge for our Christmas party. That place is awesome.

We wanted to do our daughter's christening there, but unfortunately my wife comes from a totally gargantuan family and we couldn't all fit...so we wound up heading to Hop Angel instead. That bar was really sharp, too.
In regards to Grays Tavern, I would avoid the place like the plague when they do Friday the Firkenteenth...that place is a mad house with literally 20-30 people hanging out side because there's not enough room inside. Other than that, it's the perfect bar.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Iron Hill in Chestnut Hill. If they had a particular location listed I might be able to come to terms with the choice but they went with a generic chain. It just seemed like no thought or effort went into their lists.

I'll still watch the show I find the hosts to be very funny/entertaining. I'll just probably never take any of their recommendations seriously.

He really is the man. Definitely not the cheapest place to buy supplies but I still go there to give him my business.

Anyone going to the MLBA Oktoberfest party this Saturday?

I didnt really look at the prices, but he was awesome to talk to and is located minutes from my house. Perfection in my book lol.

joshbhs04 said:
I didnt really look at the prices, but he was awesome to talk to and is located minutes from my house. Perfection in my book lol.

John and his store are great. His price can be higher for equipment, but I've found ingredients to always be reasonable. But his knowledge and help is invaluable.

John and his store are great. His price can be higher for equipment, but I've found ingredients to always be reasonable. But his knowledge and help is invaluable.

I have found Keystone to be a bit cheaper for ingredients, especially on yeast, but since I live and work on the main line the costs of gas and time outweigh the benefits of driving out to Montgomeryville. I do miss going to the homebrew Mecca though.

I liked the Philly episode of Brew Dogs and I like the show in general. Barcade has long been in my top 3 favorite beer bars in the city since they opened. They really have a phenomenal tap list all the time and hey... it's an arcade! I feel either P.O.P.E. or Bainbridge Barrelhouse should've made the list though. Bainbridge consistently has ultra rare selections you won't find anywhere else. Them naming Yard's as the #1 brewery in the city makes me trust all their recommendations for other cities. It's my favorite brewery in the city hands down.

Love Yards. Was lucky enough to be given a tour by the President of the brewey. He even bought us beers after the tor. Great experience!

joshbhs04 said:

Just picked up some stuff to brew a dipa, not bad prices at all considering I have to do extract on this one. my mash tun cooler cracked during the move from Cali. guess the brew gods are telling me its time for a single tier with keggles.

Just picked up some stuff to brew a dipa, not bad prices at all considering I have to do extract on this one. my mash tun cooler cracked during the move from Cali. guess the brew gods are telling me its time for a single tier with keggles.

You should definitely stop by Keystone if you haven't already. It will change your perception of what a homebrew shop should be.

A homebrew and then a big choice. Pat's or Gino's. wit provi

Only tourists go to Pat's and Gino's. Locals all have their own favorite Cheesesteak joint. Just like I have my favorite lobstah roll joint in Maine... Rockland Cafe.

Only tourists go to Pat's and Gino's. Locals all have their own favorite Cheesesteak joint. Just like I have my favorite lobstah roll joint in Maine... Rockland Cafe.

I guess that's true. Most of us inland locals don't buy lobster rolls. Too expensive. The most common "maine" food for those of us not on the coast is American chop suey.

I guess that's true. Most of us inland locals don't buy lobster rolls. Too expensive. The most common "maine" food for those of us not on the coast is American chop suey.

It's a whole different world inland there. I lived in Rockland seasonally. Screw Maine winters... Downeaster 4 life. I lived and worked on the boat on the Maine state quarter. Miss the SV Victory Chimes. Life on the sea was great.

My first time visiting here with my wife she took me to pats and ginos. Then she took me to Jims on south st ( her favorite) and I fell in love. I even think some of the lil places on the main line are better than p&g.

Recipe by chance? Sounds like a glorious winner...

Sure thing. I have my notes in work, I'll post tomorrow in the am. I work with partial mash/ extracts. I had this rum/ spice/ vanilla/ oak solution sitting for a year...I make the same stuff every year, so after I brew it I remake the spice solution to sit for next years batch.

Sure thing. I have my notes in work, I'll post tomorrow in the am. I work with partial mash/ extracts. I had this rum/ spice/ vanilla/ oak solution sitting for a year...I make the same stuff every year, so after I brew it I remake the spice solution to sit for next years batch.

I appreciate that brotha

I appreciate that brotha

Here goes from memory...I'll double check when I can.
For the spice tea...
12 ounces dark rum, I like to use Pyrat rum.
2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
4 vanilla beans
I have that mixture soak for a year. Two months prior to brewing I add in three ounces medium toast Hungarian oak cubes.
For the pie I did the following:
60 ounces Libby's pumpkin
6 ounces molasses
2 table spoons pumpkin pie spice
Bake at 360 for 1 hour on a thin pan. In the last 15 minutes I top off with marshmallows for burning.

For the partial mash I had the following:
1 lb biscuit malt
1 lb 60 degree caramel malt
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/4 lb special b
Half hour at 150 degrees

6 lbs dry light malt extract
2 lbs dry dark extract
2 ounces Willamette for full 60 minute boil

At the beginning of the boil I added the pumpkin for the full boil in a really fine mesh paint bag. This **** gets really messy. If you do all grain I would add it in at the mash along with rice hulls to get better clarity.

After 50 minutes I added my Irish moss as well as 1/2 pound of amber sugar crystals

Once cooled to 68 I pitched 2 packets of dry Nottingham yeast.

After done fermenting I add the spice tea.
Prior to bottling, I add more rum or spices if required to flavor and taste.
This year with a new baby at home I forgot to add the oak, but it still tastes fine to me.

At five point five gallons my OG was 1.085 and I'm finished at 1.014
That there was a lot to type from my phone lol

Dalessandro's in Roxborough is the place I go to!

I like Chubby's across the street when in that area, simply because Delsandro's doesn't do fries!

If you make it out into the Blue Bell burbs, try Pudge's.

I've been told the dive bar in the middle of Flourtown (Cisco's) is the best around. I haven't ventured in there yet, but it is walking distance.

Back