What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 10 gal of Belgian blonde. That was more for me than for beer ... But, close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed some for the first time in months. A pinched nerve has been keeping me from hauling the stuff around, but mostly better, so a Belgian Golden sits in the fermenter waiting to get yeasty.

Busy brew day! Starter by doing second step up on my starter. Bottled 5 gallons of honey wheat ale as I mashed grist for my IPA clone... Boiled, cooled, pitched and settled in a swamp cooler. Made breakfast and dinner in between and cleaned up as I went along.

Racked the "Kama Citra" from Northern Brewer onto dry hops in secondary. It was in primary longer than planned due to family stuff. So this will be bottled in a couple of days to be fully carbonated by 8/24.

My clone beer (A Lil Sumpin Sumpin) is bubbling nicely about 5-6 hours after pitching.

I checked temp and it's at 65* ambient, down from 68* initially. Nottingham is doing great work which is needed since my OG came in low at 1.065 (1.075 targeted). If it will get me to 1.010 then I'll be happy!

Bottled 1 gallon of Rum Runner Stout, 2 gallons of cream stout, dry hopped my dead ringer ipa and plan to mix up a batch of jaom later this afternoon :mug:

Over the past couple days I have waxed my RIS, made two starters, organized grain on new shelving unit, dumped ~35 bottles of bad extract brews to get the bottles, drank plenty, and will be bottling my tripel this evening. I also ordered over 120lbs of grain plus hops for my next 6-7 batches which is arriving today. :mug:

Kegged up 2 experimental partigyle batches. One hopeful session IPA and an english bitter. Also managed to somehow lose the o-ring off the pressure relief valve between opening lid and hitting with CO2 to seal and carb. It was stored sanitized and under pressure. I assume it's at the bottom of the keg.

Picked up a tube of WLP007 and a half-pound of Northdown pellets for this weekend's SMaSH partigyle: Crisp MO/ND Bitter b/w Barleywine.

The Golden Promise/Bramling Cross bitter kicked so fast, I think it might just be a keeper recipe.

Racked my Ultra ESB to secondary & dry hopped w/ EKG.
Cleaned the two dirty carboys.
Went a club brew day where we brewed a 40 gal batch of Saison.

Cleaning a bunch of bottles, got remote help for new security & fixed flash player bug. Only took a couple hours & $100. Needed a beer after all that.:mug:

Not sure if this counts, but I am working to finalize the recipes for the 5 beers I am planning to make for my wedding in March. I want to do a test batch of each beforehand to make sure the recipes are good.

I am planning on the following:
Robust Porter
Blonde Ale (not a fan normally, but this will be good for BMC drinkers, thinking a 2-Row/Hallertau SMaSH)
IPA (debating between if it should be a fruity mosaic/simcoe type or a citrusy cascade/Amarillo/Citra, may split a 6 gallon batch to try out both)
Helles
Hefeweizen
(I may end up making a wild ale that would be more for the wedding party)

Picked some hops

1408470743481.jpg

So far this week, I've waxed my fruited saisons, labelled my quad, racked my pumpkin porter onto some spice tea (and to get it off the trub) and started researching the old ale style as my next possible batch (thinking something along the lines of Old Curmudgeon)

Getting a tree full of bottles washed & drying. Damn, it's humid this afternoon. Cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon. Gotta get the FG on the watermelon hefe tonight for sure.

Transferred Helles to secondary, sorted out bottles for my barleywine I will bottle this weekend.

While cleaning one of the last pails full of bottles, I ran across the Widmer (?) bottle from one of the 3 beers yooper traded me. That one stay at home! :tank:

Bottled 25 gallons of blonde ale (cheated and threw the last 5 gallons of 30 in a carboy to mess with another day). Brewed 20 gallons of IPA straight on the cake. Used my first hop harvest of 1/2lb cascades as part of the flame out addition. 70 gallons brewed in the last 6 weeks. Laying down the pipeline.

Bottled 25 gallons of blonde ale (cheated and threw the last 5 gallons of 30 in a carboy to mess with another day). Brewed 20 gallons of IPA straight on the cake. Used my first hop harvest of 1/2lb cascades as part of the flame out addition. 70 gallons brewed in the last 6 weeks. Laying down the pipeline.

Jesus, who is going to drink all of that?

I was planning to brew tonight and remembered that I'd forgotten to buy yeast. So looks like I'll be headed home via the LHBS :drunk:

I have done absolutely nothing for beer today, I'd better go contemplate my choices over a pint or two.. or three... ah who am I kidding, over a corney keg

I cleaned a whole tree's worth of bottles yesterday. did some serious gardening today. Back & hips be damned!...oh...wait a tick...they already are...:confused:

Ordered the ingredients for my Aletoberfest. Better late than never.

Well last night some hop sludge clogged up my dip tube on my keg so i tried to reverse the gas line to blow it back in, didnt work. As i was pulling the fitting off the srpring and nipple popped off and splashed down into the keg.... had to rack to another clean keg.... solved the sludge problem tho.

Racked my Ultra ESB to kegs for conditioning, cleaned the secondary carboys & Chad tubes used for dry hopping.

Not so much what i've done today as what ive done recently since i have not been on HBT as much as i should be lately.

My first and proudest accomplishment..i built my very own kegerator! Dual tap tower set up. Fits two corneys nicely as well as one corney and a 2.5 gallon keg i previously had in my fridge. Came out well. There is no foaming at all on my pours.

It now has a DIPA and 2.5 gallons of a very well aged english barley wine pouring.

Ive brewed my first sour, a Flanders red which i am happy to say seems to be coming along nicely. And lastly and most recently(yesterday) i finally bottled an 11% american barley wine ive had bulk aging in secondary since february. I oaked it last week before bottling. Bottled with some yeast to ensure carbonation. Hope i dont have bottle bombs on such a time invested brew.

Cheers!
View attachment 219257View attachment 219246

Back