Carabou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMG318

Reaction score
I brewed AG Carabou Slobber last weekend and scaled the recipe to 6 gal. I collected 7 gallons of wort and the pre boil SG was 1.054 (the target OG for this beer is 1.051). I added 1 gallon of water and got the SG into the high 1.040s (I didn't want to dilute too much) I boiled it for 60 minutes and ended up with 6.75 gallons and an OG of 1.058....a little high. Any one made this beer and ended up with this high OG? Is it still as good this way?

I haven't, but it's a stout so you won't go wrong with more malt. It's pretty darn close, and unless your yeast are exactly as attenuative as the stuff used in calculating the recipe you'll be different in the end. You might end up with a bit higher ABV (0.5% or so) if all things are equal, but I wouldn't sweat it. It will be good beer in the end.

It will be good just a little bigger. I assume this was an all grain batch? Next time you will know to calculate for a higher efficiency. I find that most recipes you see in magazines and the ones in Brewing Classic Styles are for 70% efficiency.

You want to strive for consistency and repeatability so that you hit your numbers in the future.

I know on my system I get slightly higher efficiencies with Maris Otter than with 2-row. I know this so I take it into account while designing recipes. I find that easier than changing my Mill gap every other brew.

Edit: I see now that you said it was indeed an AG batch.
@SilverZero: It's a knock off of Big Sky's Moose drool, which is a Brown Ale.

I have not made/had this recipe. I have however had a few moose drools and a few clones. You are really only talking about a few gravity points here, which should not be that huge of a difference, IMO.

FWIW the main reason I replied is that the last time I had this beer I had it as a "man float" with the moose drool beer and used "moose tracks" ice cream. It was FANTASTIC, so I thought I would recommend it.

:mug:

Back