Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
Can you predict from OG or yeast type whether you might need a blowoff tube? The highest OG I've done so far was 1.068 and I got about a 2 - 3 inch kraeusen. No problem for my 6.5 gal better bottles for 5 gallon batches. But I want to try a Ruination soon and a RIS is definitely in my future.

I always use a blow off for the first few days of crazy fermentation, once it slows down little, I'll swap it out for an airlock. This eliminates the need to guess whether a particular fermentation will blow up or not. It only takes one time of cleaning yeast and trub off of the ceiling and all the clothes in the closet.

There's another option. If you're using a 3-piece airlock, you don't need to stress so much. Take that floating piece out and stick a 1/2" tube on it if things start going bonkers.

I heartily agree with the above posts...I ALWAYS use a blow-off for the first couple of days of fermentation, and then switch to a 3-piece airlock. A blow-off will certainly prevent some mighty big messes...and it doesn't hurt a thing! Good insurance, methinks.

glenn514:mug:

Always, even if I know I won't need it...

Fermenting4.JPG

Each fermentation is different. I have had a fairly low gravity beer (1.052) blow off like crazy and high gravity beers not blow off.

So, I always start with a blow off tube. I really don't want to have to mop the ceiling.

Back