How do you measure PM efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
I did my first PM today, it didnt go as well as expected. I should of waited for the mini lauter Tun I purchsed, but as usual I didnt. I still think the beer is going to be good, but I had a target SG of 1.064 and ended up with 1.050 so I know it wasnt good. I wont use this method again. I just want to know how to figure efficiency

It depends what efficiency figure was used to estimate the 1064 figure.

I find most recipes use around 75% to estimate potential OG..

[SIZE=+1](64 / 75) * 100 = 85.3[/SIZE] OG for 100% efficiency.

[SIZE=+1](50 / 85.3) * 100 = 58.6% efficiency.

[/SIZE]

It's a little more complicated for PM, because you have to discount the extract. Or take a gravity before adding the extract.

Let's say your recipe had 3 pounds of grain (half 2-row, half specialty) and 6 pounds of LME. TG 1.055 @ 5.5 gal.

The LME gives you 40 points. So you're expecting 15 points from the grain. That's about 75%. So, if your OG is 1.050, you actually got 10 points from the grain and an efficiency of (10/15)*75 = 50%

What exactly was the recipe because it is hard to know how well you did without the information. DME is about 20% more concentrated than LME. You get between roughly 37 gravity pts. per gallon\per pound with LME.

67coupe390 said:
How do you figure out the gravity from the ingredents? Is there a chart or do you type it into beersmith?:confused:And your good to go.
Yes, when you formulate a recipe it should list the OG based on ingredients,effieciency and batch size.
By the way, what's Purple Porter?

Blender said:
Yes, when you formulate a recipe it should list the OG based on ingredients,effieciency and batch size.
By the way, what's Purple Porter?
It is a recipe that I put together from other porter recipes. The runoff came out so dark it looked purple. Then on top of that I collected 10 gal of wort and it took 3 1/2 hours to boil down to 6 gal. I didn't mean to collect that much so hopefully it comes out O.K.

9lb 2 row pale
1lb caramel
1/2lb cara pils
1/2lb munich
1/2lb 30L crystal
Wyeast 1028
1oz tett (60min)
2oz fuggles (30min)(1oz15min)
1oz cascade(cool down about 10min)
1 1/2 lb honey

Use promash to project OG based on your system.

Extract amounts have no effect on efficiency because extracts are already converted to sugar (no starch).

Back