How many illusions has the internet shattered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Youtube, especially. I seem to be left with less heroes. In the 70's I had all my vinyl platters, they were ALL golden. Little bits of heaven made for the ear and the mind.

Sure, as I got older, I noticed that some of the music I loved actually sucked, but did not have the decency to tell me this at the time. I'm cool with that.

Today though, I am distraught. I searched an old favourite, and found the biggest load of doggy poo I could evr imagine. This was a great song. The original artist would never hash it out this badly..... But here he is doing it! What a total wanker!!

Does this mean that the moral integrity of the universe is actually in my own hands? Do I now have to police the internet and fix all these crappy links until the internet matches my own perception of reality?

Actually, I think it means all that. I have to fix the internet! Something is wrong with it!
:drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are quite the crusader.

I wish you Godspeed on your adventure

Here's an illusion the internet has shattered...

A bunch of my friends work at a place helping people with developmental disabilities. One of them heard this from another one, and passed this story on to us-

One of their clients is a high functioning adult, but does have some developmental issues. His sister is very involved with his life. She runs a restaurant, and was meeting with the organization my friend works, to contract the restaurant's laundry to this organization's laundry service. During the meeting, she gets a call from her brother, who is freaking out. "There's a troll in my closet! There's a troll in my closet!" She's like, whatever, I'm in a meeting, I can't leave. He calls back, freaking out. "There's a troll in my closet". She says she'll come over after meeting.

She gets to his house, and he's freaking out hardcore. He's barricaded the closet with all his furniture. And there's noise coming from inside, so now she's freaking out. She moves everything away, and opens the door.

Inside is a midget Jehovah's Witness, who had stopped by to share the good news.

----

That night, I'm about to post this story on HBT, completely sold that it's true. There was enough detail, and this absolutely could happen at my friends' work.

I'm about to post it, but I could not remember what the guy thought the midget was. A dwarf? An elf? Maybe... maybe someone posted the story online, and I could see what it was. So I googled "midget in closet". And the first result was from Snopes.com, thoroughly disproving the urban legend. It never happened. I was so disappointed.

Last night, I was with some friends, and some hadn't heard this story, so one of my friends told the story, supposedly third-handedly. I waited until the story was done, and said, "The awful thing is, it's not true. It's an urban legend."

And almost all my friends got pissed at me for shattering the illusions. Only one thanked me for wanting the truth- the rest were pissed at me. Seriously, WTF.

Anyways, sorry for the long off subject rant.

My boss loves to send out crazy pics and snopes-worthy emails. The first few years I let it slide, then I decided to send him (and only him) the snopes link to one of his particularly unbelieveable urban legends. That didn't go over so well, so now I just sigh and delete them after reading enough to know that he sent 'something funny' and can participate in office banter as needed. N_G

My boss loves to send out crazy pics and snopes-worthy emails. The first few years I let it slide, then I decided to send him (and only him) the snopes link to one of his particularly unbelieveable urban legends. That didn't go over so well, so now I just sigh and delete them after reading enough to know that he sent 'something funny' and can participate in office banter as needed. N_G

I use to do the same to someone who would forward me on ridiculous emails. I started only sending her the snopes links, but that didn't work. I then moved on to "reply all." Only took a couple of times. Problem solved. I've never gotten a forward from her ever again. If you can't teach the problem, then you might as well embarrass the problem.

Don't worry. I found a CD that I used to listen to in grade school. Probably my first mix CD. I made it right when CD-R's came out. I cannot even begin to describe how much it sucked. I think it's natural.

Does this mean that the moral integrity of the universe is actually in my own hands? Do I now have to police the internet and fix all these crappy links until the internet matches my own perception of reality?

YES! The moral integrity of the universe is determined by the content of the internet. I have no clue what mankind did before it was invented. BTW, all you need to do to police the internet is edit wikipedia to conform to your perceptions of reality.

Alternatively, if you really want to be an agent of social change, start a blog or website, make up a collection of impressive sounding degrees, and adopt some sort of edgy, controversial perspective. It doesn't have to be accurate, just catchy. Here's a step by step guide:
  • To get people to conform to what you say, convince them that you are a nonconformist.
  • Tell your audience that they should be outraged about something. Anything. The possibilities are endless.
  • Always, always, always blame the government.
  • If you can't blame the government, consider blaming the rich, the poor, immigrants, xenophobes, gays, homophobes, brown people, black people, white people, drugs, drug prohibition, atheism, or religion. Use your imagination.
  • Make generous use of technobabble and jargon... you do not need to know what it actually means, because 99% of your audience will not know either.
  • Keep to keep your arguments outlandish statements that cannot possibly be disproven. Remember... if they can't prove you wrong, you win!
  • Troll your critics into submission. Or just delete their posts.
  • Have a homebrew or six and post a stream of consciousness youtube. Claim that the mainstream media is biased against you and that you have to use youtube to bring your viewers "the truth".
  • Once you have achieved popularity, start convincing your viewers to donate money so that you can start a shortwave station.
  • Claim that the FCC is silencing you because of your controversial views.
  • Instead of starting that shortwave station, buy more carboys. Have more homebrew. Post more youtube videos. Rinse. Repeat.

Keep it funky.

:fro:

The phrase "I found a CD that I used to listen to in grade school" has just made me feel very old. :p

Wow... the last starfighter. Haven't seen that in awhile. Some campy sci-fi is fun every now and then, though.

Back