Would you use this crushed grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I have 4lbs of crushed Vienna that I've had around a month. I read some and found threads saying no more than 2 weeks is ideal for crushed grain. But would you use it? Its been in my kitchen. it stays fairly chilly in there because I havent been heating that room. Not sure if a cool environment helps its longevity or not.

The cool environment does help, and some sources suggest that if you keep it in the fridge/freezer you can extend the life. Does it smell/look/taste okay? If it passes that then there is no reason to throw it out. If it started to pick up the smell of your trash/leftover pizza, then you can either make a mystery beer or pitch it. When it is crushed it deteriorates faster, but as long as it is in a cool area away from water it should be good. Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

It smells fine, looks like fine, and is still crunchy. Is that a good sign? I wanna brew in the next couple of days.

Back