Newbie here - Yeast suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceegar

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of Mead and also some raspberry mead. Which yeast would be best to use? And also, if I’m only making a 1 gal batch, how much of the packet of yeast should I be using? I want the mead to be on the sweet side. I understand if I end up using a yeast that will ferment out dry that I could simply add some sugar and sorbate before bottling, but I also understand the type of yeast I use will affect its flavor as well, and that’s the tough part. What would you recommend for yeast? Would I use one type of yeast for the straight mead and a different type for the raspberry mead because of the addition of the fruit? What I have currently on hand for yeast is Lalvin D47, RC 212, 71B-1122 and K1-V1116, but I could always purchase something else if it was recommended. I was considering trying out the Wyeast 4184 and maybe the Cote des Blanc.

Not knowing what your recipe is, it's difficult to say this yeast or that yeast will give you the results you're looking for. I've used all the yeasts you listed, but will have to say tht my best stuff was made with D-47. I've heard that D-47 will sometimes peter out before hitting it's alcohol tolerance, but that's never happened to me. You might find this useful: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp Regards, GF.

Back