target gravity not met

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
I just finished seven days in the primary with a pete's wicked ale clone kit. It started at 1.052 and says it is done when it reaches 1.011ish. After the week it has stopped bubbling at 70degrees constant temp. I took a reading and it said 1.020? What now? Adding more yeast? Rack to secondary and hope for the best?

Help me with my beer I'll help you with your lawn.

TURFGUY

That's the same thing that has happened to my nut brown ale. I have had it secondary for 10 days now. I checked it this AM and it has dropped .007. That puts me at 1.013, only 1 or 2 more and I'll rack into a keg. It is a slow process (relativle, of course), but it seems to be chugging along just fine.

gonzoflick said:
How do you all take daily readings from a secondary carboy without contaminating things?

I thought the same. Can you leave the sanitized hydrometer inside the fermenting bucket? I'm sure it would be coated with residue however.

turfguy1969 said:
I thought the same. Can you leave the sanitized hydrometer inside the fermenting bucket? I'm sure it would be coated with residue however.

I'm only a beginner at this myself and haven't even ever used a carboy yet, but my first instinct would be to sanitize a turkey baster and use it to extract a sample. Other than that I'm not sure what standard procedure is.

Tommy

Brewno said:
I'm only a beginner at this myself and haven't even ever used a carboy yet, but my first instinct would be to sanitize a turkey baster and use it to extract a sample. Other than that I'm not sure what standard procedure is.

Tommy

Or a wine theif. Thats what I use. Very easy to use one. Do not put your hydrometer in the fermentation bucket. You take a sample out to lower the risk of contamination.

Back