Should I have pitched two packs of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Brewed a Chocolate Stout on Dec 1st. Hit an OG of 1.078 and pitched one vial of White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. Now I know I'm only a week into it, but I'm wondering if I should have pitched an extra vial of yeast? I'm expecting a final gravity of 1.022 (today and yesterday it was steady at 1.032 ~ 59% attenuation). Like I said, I know that I'm only a week into it, and plan on leaving the beer for another week or two before secondary, but should I have pitched more or at least made a starter?

What you shouldda done was made a starter. But what is done is done....and it may be ok. If you aerated enough...it could be ok, but sounds like it's stuck. A pack of US-05 might finish it up with minimal impact to your yeast flavor profile.

I used a yeast nutrient during the boil. Is that what you mean or are you saying to possibly add a yeast energizer now? Is there a difference between a yeast energizer and yeast nutrient?

Brewed a Chocolate Stout on Dec 1st. Hit an OG of 1.078 and pitched one vial of White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. Now I know I'm only a week into it, but I'm wondering if I should have pitched an extra vial of yeast? I'm expecting a final gravity of 1.022 (today and yesterday it was steady at 1.032 ~ 59% attenuation). Like I said, I know that I'm only a week into it, and plan on leaving the beer for another week or two before secondary, but should I have pitched more or at least made a starter?

I've had the same problem before, when i didn't know about the number of yeast cells vs higher gravities. Personally i think you will be fine it'll just take a little bit longer. I'd just leave it alone for a couple of weeks before checking it again.

I'll ask the obvious, what temperature are you fermenting at?

It's been between 65 - 72 the whole time. Most of the time it's a steady 68.

I really had a feeling I should have pitched more, I guess my lesson is learned. Hopefully it will finish out in a week or two.

However, if it doesn't would the batch be safe to bottle at 1.031 as long as that's a steady reading over the next few weeks?

A week is still pretty early, especially for a big beer that was underpitched. My instincts would be to let it ride for a bit, perhaps agitate the fermenter slightly to stir things up.

What's the recipe, and what was your mash procedure? Is it possible there is just a lot of unfermentables in there?

It was an extract recipe:

5 # Dark DME
1 # Extra Dark DME (late addition)
1 # Lactose
1 # Crystal 120
.5 # Roasted Barley
.5 # Cara-pils
.5 # Chocolate

1 oz Goldings (4.5% AA) 60 min
.75 oz Goldings 30 min
.5 oz Fuggles (4.9% AA) 5 Min

6 oz Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa powder @ 10 min
Whirlfloc @ 15 min
White labs Yeast nutrient @ 10 min

White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast.

I know it's still early, but I got concerned after having a steady hydrometer reading across 3 days. The beer smells and tastes fantastic, so I'm not overly worried about anything *knock on wood.* I'll let it sit for a few weeks to see what happens, and next time I'll know to pitch more (or make a starter) for a big beer. Would there be an issue bottling a beer at 1.031 even if it's stayed there for 3-4 weeks?

Hmnn...I wouldn't expect you to have an outrageous amount of unfermentables in an extract recipe like that.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't expect that high of an OG...when I punch those ingredients into BeerSmith I get an OG of 1.061 in a 5 gallon batch. Have you checked your hydrometer in distilled water lately? I've heard of stories where the paper scale slipped inside the glass, leading to wildly innacurate readings. Does the beer taste as sweet as a 1.032 reading would suggest?

On the other hand, I also wouldn't expect that high of an OG...when I punch those ingredients into BeerSmith I get an OG of 1.061 in a 5 gallon batch. Have you checked your hydrometer in distilled water lately? I've heard of stories where the paper scale slipped inside the glass, leading to wildly innacurate readings. Does the beer taste as sweet as a 1.032 reading would suggest?

When I plug it into my software I get 1.076, but the hydrometer could be a possibility. The beer doesn't taste too sweet, actually tastes like it's fermented nice and clean. I'll have to try checking the hydrometer and see if that gives me a more logical reading. I am planning on giving this batch a few more weeks in the primary and maybe a month in secondary (still undecided on whether or not to rack it to the secondary). Anyone see any problems bottling at a FG of 1.032?

I would not bottle at 1.032. If it was a big barley wine, maybe; but at 59% attenuation, you're begging for bombs.

Adding a neutral dry yeast at this point is your best bet.

I would not bottle at 1.032. If it was a big barley wine, maybe; but at 59% attenuation, you're begging for bombs.

I had a feeling about that. I guess I'll just let it go for a little and hope it drops (and also check the hydrometer's accuracy), if not US-05 might be the best bet. I shouldn't be worried about causing a drastic change in flavor by doing that should I?

US-05 might be the best bet. I shouldn't be worried about causing a drastic change in flavor by doing that should I?

Of course the right answer is that you should never worry about your beer! Seems to me, we have an acronym about that. :D

For a more practical answer, US-05 is squeaky clean...it really let's your ingredients shine. I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm still suspicious of those readings, I'd expect a 1.032 wort/beer to be rather sweet, but it tastes like finished beer. Drop that hydrometer in some water, and see what it says.

And remember not to worry. :mug:

I will be sure to double check the hydrometer, hopefully that's all that's going on.

Thank you for all of the advice.

I think it's time to relax and have that homebrew now... :mug:

Cheers!

If you pitch dry yeast to it, make sure you follow the manufactures re-hydrating steps. You'll kill off a good portion of your yeast by pitching dry into wort with alcohol already in solution.

Well the gravity is still at 1.031 so I decided I should repitch - it's been two and a half weeks.

So I stopped at the closest supply shop today (not really a homebrew store, but more of a store that has homebrew stuff), and looked for US-05, they don't carry it. They carry the generic Munton's Active Dry Yeast - which I used for my German Alt and had iffy results with - they also carry White Labs Yeast and have the Irish Ale Yeast.

My question is, since I used the Irish Ale yeast initially could I pick up a vial of that and repitch? I know it's more expensive that US-05, but the closest place for me to get that is an hour away, so it would work out. Or would you guys recommend the Muntons Active Brewer's yeast?

I think you are done.
If this started at 1.076 thats a big beer. 1# of lactose is unfermentable and will add nearly 0.010 to the FG. The caramel, and other specialty will also add some unfermentables and depending on the DME there will be some there as well. Most dark and amber extracts have more unfermentables.
I think it was not necessary to repitch and it will accomplish nothing.
I just had a smaller oatmeal stout that finished at 1.025 without any lactose. Ofcourse my mash temp was fairly high but it gives you an idea where a sweet stout might finish.

The advantage of repitching with a dry yeast is you provide a large number of cells to restart the fermentation. Liquid yeast packages do not have the same quantity. If you really feel it needs a repitch then making a starter with the liquid and pitching that when it is actively fermenting will give you the best chance.

I still think you should just give this beer 4 weeks in the primary then if it is still stable bottle.

Next time make sure you make a starter, especially for beers with a high OG.

Craig

Interesting CB, I didn't think about that. But it would explain why the beer doesn't seem to have any residual sweetness to it. I think I'll leave it for another 2 weeks or so and then (possibly) bottle it.

Thanks!

Back