First Lager Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
Ok so first lager under my belt an oktoberfest my favorite style. I started the batch on monday its the first batch i've ever put in a glass carboy for a primary, because I knew I didn't need much headspace. I'm like a kid in a toy store window every hour or so opening the fridge door to take a look, my question is I can see it churning and a nice layer of krausen on top but nary a bubble out of the airlock, I checked the carboy cap and airlock and all is snug, would a very slow ferment cause no bubbles (I doubt it) well anyways, Thanks.

bandt9299 said:
Ok so first lager under my belt an oktoberfest my favorite style. I started the batch on monday its the first batch i've ever put in a glass carboy for a primary, because I knew I didn't need much headspace. I'm like a kid in a toy store window every hour or so opening the fridge door to take a look, my question is I can see it churning and a nice layer of krausen on top but nary a bubble out of the airlock, I checked the carboy cap and airlock and all is snug, would a very slow ferment cause no bubbles (I doubt it) well anyways, Thanks.

Correct me if Im worng but dont Lager ferment on the bottom? I have never made way and may be way off though.

You must have a leak somewhere. I wouldn't worry about it as you can see your beer fermenting and will know when the krausen falls and the yeast flocculate out. I've been giving my lagers 4-6weeks in the primary then crash cool to 33 and fine with gelatin for 5-7 days before kegging or bottling.

GT

Big shocker, the carboy cap wasn't airtight, I put a plug in it and shes bubling away, you think after 3 years I wouldn't be such a worry wort bit its my first lager so I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks

Back