Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really a compliment.
My response: "It's my hobby. Why take all the fun out of it?"
Hopefully the person in South Carolina who won the $1.6B in the lottery is a homebrewer.......

He can open a brewery. [emoji16]

He can make recipes, brew, taste-test and have somebody else lug bags a of grain about and clean.

Starting with hiring the person who said, "You should open a brewery!" to do the grunt work.

As you do product testing and supervise.

"Ah, you missed a spot there.... LOL"

brewing-metallurgy-3-brewery-holding-keg-testing-beer.jpeg

Hopefully the person in South Carolina who won the $1.6B in the lottery is a homebrewer.......

He can open a brewery. [emoji16]

He can make recipes, brew, taste-test and have somebody else lug bags a of grain about and clean.

Starting with hiring the person who said, "You should open a brewery!" to do the grunt work.

As you do product testing and supervise.

"Ah, you missed a spot there.... LOL"

View attachment 594368

If I won 1.6bil I’d totally open a brewery. A free brewery where everyone who’s cool can come drink for free. There would have to be some paid staff to do things like cleaning and serving but when I become a billionaire I’ll work those details out. Maybe make a mandatory $5 donation every time a political statement is made.

It occurs to me that when I say, "You should maybe open a ____ whatever!", I intend it as a compliment rather than actual career advice. In future, when somebody says something in that vein to me, I believe I'll just say "Thank you." and take it as such.

That's how I take it. And even if it's the Nth time I've heard it, it's the first time the person in front of me at the time is saying it to me. So I too say thanks and take it as a compliment. Same if they say I should sell it. I appreciate the sentiment, but of course explain that I can't.

It only gets annoying for me if they argue that I CAN sell it. I usually just say that if homebrewers could sell their beer you'd see it sold all over the place, because there are plenty of homebrewers who would like to do that.

That's how I take it. And even if it's the Nth time I've heard it, it's the first time the person in front of me at the time is saying it to me. So I too say thanks and take it as a compliment. Same if they say I should sell it. I appreciate the sentiment, but of course explain that I can't.

It only gets annoying for me if they argue that I CAN sell it. I usually just say that if homebrewers could sell their beer you'd see it sold all over the place, because there are plenty of homebrewers who would like to do that.
At that point in the conversation, I just have them read my label. "Government Warning - Beware of the Government". That either enlightens, frightens, or confuses. In any case it changes the subject.

“Oh! When are you going to open your own brewery?”
“What are you making in there? Moonshine?”
“Can you make bud light?”
“You know, meth is illegal”
“Why would you make beer when you can buy it at the store?”
“How long does it take? Oh that’s too long.”

1)“Oh! When are you going to open your own brewery?”

2) “What are you making in there? Moonshine?”

3) “Can you make bud light?”

4)“You know, meth is illegal”

5) “Why would you make beer when you can buy it at the store?”

6) “How long does it take? Oh that’s too long.”

This list above, is 6 reasons to keep home brewing a secret.

Did you pull a muscle in your eyes from the eye rolling?

[emoji12]

Most people I tell say "wow, that's cool. I wish I could do that."

I have tried to get my friends to brew, but none of them have started so far. But then again I live in the south with craft brew is not so big.

Most people I tell say "wow, that's cool. I wish I could do that."

I have tried to get my friends to brew, but none of them have started so far. But then again I live in the south with craft brew is not so big.
Invite them over to brew. Have them help you. That's the best way. The hook is set on the beer that remember helping you make. 2+beers typically. Then the coolness factor of I made alcohol.

Brew a pale ale like a bitter or a Kolsch.

"I don't drink".

Visitor had spent ten minutes ogling my brewery and asking a metric crapton of questions that I was happy to answer, and then when I offered samples, he hit me with "I don't drink" :drunk:

Has to be the most disappointing thing a home brewer can hear...and a little annoying...

"I don't drink".

Visitor had spent ten minutes ogling my brewery and asking a metric crapton of questions that I was happy to answer, and then when I offered samples, he hit me with "I don't drink" :drunk:

Has to be the most disappointing thing a home brewer can hear...and a little annoying...
Was it really? I don't drink.... Or I don't drink.... your stuff.

It's been awhile, but some people think homebrewing is dangerous like distilling. As if they are going to be served a glass of poison that will make them go blind or destroy their liver.

But at least I was wasn't wasted on somebody that wouldn't appreciate the beer.

Feck'em I say.

No, he was a teetotaller, confirmed by his partner (who did enjoy both neipas and a sip of my imperial chocolate stout).
If he hadn't been so interested in the brewery and my keezer it wouldn't have thrown me at all...

Cheers!

"I don't drink".

Hi Day_Trippr. My initial reaction/thoughts regarding the "I don't drink" comment would be that this person was afraid to try home brew. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about fermentation in general. My second reaction is that there is more of my brew to drink. Haha. Cheers, Mike

Hi Day_Trippr. My initial reaction/thoughts regarding the "I don't drink" comment would be that this person was afraid to try home brew. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about fermentation in general. My second reaction is that there is more of my brew to drink. Haha. Cheers, Mike
True.

I had a BIL that asked how I got the alcohol into the beer. He was thinking I used vodka or grain alcohol since it was so hard to detect in the beer.

Many are totally ignorant. Spoilage being a big fear like you're giving them polluted lake water. I can't imagine the fear if they saw the inside of the fermentor.

Again, the person of interest doesn't drink anything with alcohol.
Tbh, he looked like he used to. A lot.

Today was completely the other way. A tech from the same company came out to resolve an installation problem and went batpoopy over my humble brewery but particularly my low art/high tech keezer. Took pictures and everything, and had a sample of everything on tap.

Hopefully he made it home ok...

Cheers!

Again, the person of interest doesn't drink anything with alcohol.
Tbh, he looked like he used to. A lot.

Today was completely the other way. A tech from the same company came out to resolve an installation problem and went batpoopy over my humble brewery but particularly my low art/high tech keezer. Took pictures and everything, and had a sample of everything on tap.

Hopefully he made it home ok...

Cheers!
That's always cool.

It is indeed.
Have to be honest, the teetotaller threw me. I mean, I've literally never had anyone pass on at the very least a taste of my imperial chocolate stout. It's like a freakin' candy bar in a small glass - who could pass that up?! :D

Cheers!

After 14 years of Brewing....

I'm to the point I don't tell people crap about beer unless they start talking about it. Even then I don't say i make beer if they talk about styles, flavors or whatever.

I make then ask me how do I know so much about the subject. Its typically stems from a debate where I almost out myself as a brewer. It's usually a process discussion that forces the question.

Back