Starter Nightmare...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I had a nice starter of hefe yeast sitting in my utility sink ready to be pitched on Friday. The wife gets home before me, and without looking at the sink, runs a load of laundry. Well, we have this screwed up little plumbing system there, where the trap that hooks into the main stack is really old and very clogged and I can't seem to fix it...so when the washing machine exhausts its dirty water, it backs up into the utility sink, because the sink is lower than the washer. It slowly drains, but the sink fills up halfway. Usually not a big deal, but when you come home to find your sweet, sweet starter floating sideways in a tub of nasty water, well...I wish I could have taken a picture of my face at that point.

Luckily, I had the starter split into two 1-gallon jugs, and one of them was sealed very tightly with a bung. The other opened when it tipped, so I dumped it, but the first one was okay....amazingly! It fermented the Stunkelweizen just fine, and smells/tastes great. But believe me, that is one sight you never wanna see.

I need to call roto-rooter post-haste, wouldn't you say? :D

Back