first time using yeast starter and not fermentinng?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrok

Reaction score
okay guys any tips would be appreciated. I recently obtained a brewers best ipa kit for my birthday and made it last night. all went as normal except for the new addition of a homemade wort chiller made from copper that dropped my cooling times down from 45 -55 mins to 8 minutes! awesome! the other change from my usual comfort level was a new yeast i have never used. the yeast is danstar bry-97. i did minimal research on this yeast and from what i could find using a yeast starter was highly recommended. I have alway simply dumped the yeast directly in the fermenter in the past(when using packets). so i boiled tap water and let cool to 87 degrees then dumped yeast into one cup of it let sit 15 mins stirred let sit 5 mins. added 1 cup wort to it stirred let sit 5 mins. and finnally dumped into fermenter. normally when i brew by the next morning there is always bubbling and active fermentation in the fermenter. today there is no action at all and it has been about 16 hours since i added the yeast. I'm not sure if anyone else has used this yeast with similar results or should i be worried at this point or what? thanks in advanced for reading and possibly helping me out!:(

the wort was approximately 74 -76 degrees. the reason im worried is that i have never done a yeast starter and i have always had fermentation by the next morning! ive done about 25 to 30 batches from various kits

also lately i have been using a cheap aquarium pump and stone to aeriate. last night i had to leave the wort aeriating for about an hour while i prepared the yeast.

I've had a beer ferment all the way through without seeing a single bubble in the airlock. It was in a bucket, so I couldn't see any krausen either. I'm not sure if it just fermented very quickly (i.e. overnight), as I did check it several times during the first week, or had a leak on the lid. I checked the lid several times, and pushed as hard as I could all over to make sure it was seated well. I figured I would just ride it out as it was a beer I wasn't super stoked about. After three weeks, I opened it and my FG was right where it was supposed to be. I've used that bucket before and after without problems, so I'm not sure what was going on.

All this to say RDWHAHB. A lack of airlock activity does not mean the yeast aren't doing their job. It doesn't sound like you did anything to screw it up.

im wondering that the difference may be temperature. normally i'm on the high side and put fermenter upstairs in my warm bedroom, this recipe recomended cooler fermentation so i have left it downstairs . its currently at 62 on the stick-on thermometer other times its closer to 70 degrees.

Back