Belgian white wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reed1099

Reaction score
I had a question for everyone. Tonight I brewed a Belgian white wheat beer. I added 1/2 oz coriander and 1/2 oz bitter orange peel to the last 15 minutes of my boil. My concern was the orange peel didn't fit through the valve into my fermenter so it was added into the boil but not the fermenter. Is that enough or should I have added more to the fermenter after the boil? I did a similar brew in the past and only added it to the boil like this time and I didn't get much citrus flavor. It was a bitter orange peel this time by the way. Thanks.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
You do not want it in the fermenter. Long term contact will make that beer way too orange-y. The boil was the right place to go.

Great, I should be on the right track then. Thanks.

You do not want it in the fermenter. Long term contact will make that beer way too orange-y. The boil was the right place to go.
+1 to what RAM said. i made the mistake on one of my early brews of adding peel to primary fermentation. turned out too orange-y and peel-y, would have been better without it (still turned out good, but would likely have been even gooder without the peel in primary).

if you're really worried about how much orange you get in there, you could always add some after primary fermentation is over. regular tastings will give you an idea of how much additional "orangeness" you're adding, and you can rack/bottle/secondary/etc as soon as you've reached enough orange flavor.

just brewed a wit too. if you do want to add it later you can "dry hop" it with orange peels/ zest soaked in vodka.

Back