Black Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 43.5 %
5 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 43.5 %
1 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
0.40 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.1 IBUs
0.30 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

BIAB Mash at 152 for 60 mins, ferment at 67.

Looking for thoughts/feedback? I brewed this today, was hoping for a very dark version of an american wheat but not quite the taste of a dunkelweizen. Was thinking a little creamier mildly roastier version of an american wheat ale. :drunk:

It's essentially Jamil's american wheat with 1 lb of Weyermann's Chocolate Wheat malt subbed in for Wheat and 1/2 lb of Oats subbed in for some 2 row. Also used Magnum instead of Horizon for bittering hops. Kept the aroma hops the same.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

-Tim

Had an OG of 1.062 (got a 81% efficiency...usually get 70-75%)

FG of 1.015. Fermented it around 65-66.

Sample tastes fantastic, just waiting for an empty keg to transfer and Carb.

I think it will be amazing, especially if I get a bottle!

Jason,

Hopefully putting this into a keg in the next week or so. Just tapped Jamil's Red Rocket Clone. So freakin' tasty. I'll bring you a bottle next week (grabbed one of Bowie's bottlers).

-tim

Here's one week on CO2... not completely carbed yet. True pitch black color, dark tan head, light hefe nose, some roasty taste, a little more than expected. A finishing hefe taste with just a light banana and clove. Definitely a creamy mouth feel.

Will try another pint in a week, but right now would try reducing the chocolate wheat a bit to let more of the hefe flavors come through...maybe 0.5-0.75 lbs per 5 gals.

ForumRunner_20120630_063335.jpg

I finally tapped that keg this week. Definitely a good drinkable beer, but it was a bit more roasty than I was hoping for. The roast covered up any of the Hefe character that I was looking for. If I were to do it again, I would cut the Chocolate Wheat back to either 1/2 or 3/4 lb.

That would probably allow more of the hefe flavors to come through. Let me know what you think of it...

I finally tapped that keg this week. Definitely a good drinkable beer, but it was a bit more roasty than I was hoping for. The roast covered up any of the Hefe character that I was looking for. If I were to do it again, I would cut the Chocolate Wheat back to either 1/2 or 3/4 lb.

That would probably allow more of the hefe flavors to come through. Let me know what you think of it...

If you're goal was to just make a black hefe, there are dark grains out there that provide darkness but with much less roasted flavors. I used Black Prinz in mine and it did a good job, you could also consider the debittered blacks out there (Carafa I-II-II dehusked), etc.

Chocolate malt is good to make a dunkel.

MC

If you're goal was to just make a black hefe, there are dark grains out there that provide darkness but with much less roasted flavors. I used Black Prinz in mine and it did a good job, you could also consider the debittered blacks out there (Carafa I-II-II dehusked), etc.

Chocolate malt is good to make a dunkel.

MC

I agree 100% with you. I really wanted to just try out the Chocolate Wheat grain... Was going for a beer just a tad bigger and darker than a dunkel, but without a strong overpowering roastiness. Still just wanted some hefeweizen yeast character in there. The 1lb was prob a bit too much, thinking 1/2-3/4lb would be perfect.

However isn't wheat huskless? So theoretically shouldnt the Chocolate Wheat be similar to the dehusked dark grains?

Tim

damn it, none of my local shops have chocolate wheat right now. :(
I have chocolate malt and debittered black in stock, should I give one of those a try?

damn it, none of my local shops have chocolate wheat right now. :(
I have chocolate malt and debittered black in stock, should I give one of those a try?

I would go with the debittered black. The chocolate malt will probably be too overpowering.

Gave the batch some time, its finally come into its own. Its fantastic. The roasted flavor is just brief followed by a nice wheat/hefe finish. Now I wish I wouldn't have drank half of it already! :cross:

If I need to drink it quickly, I'd go a little less (3/4 lb). However given how its progressed, I'd brew it the exact same again! Let me know how yours turns out.

I saved a bottle or two of this and had it at the 6 month mark. The beer is actually fantastic. Just a nice subtle roastiness on top of a fading wheat base. Not much hefe character at all.

Very tasty. Happy with the way this beer came out.

Jamil's American Wheat used WLP 320, Wyeast 1010 or Safale-05 yeast.

Breiss Midnight Wheat malt is a 550 degree SRM wheat malt that provides a bit of milder roast flavor without bitter astringency of other black malts. You don't need much of this to color your beer.

I finally tapped that keg this week. Definitely a good drinkable beer, but it was a bit more roasty than I was hoping for. The roast covered up any of the Hefe character that I was looking for.

That's basically what happened with my attempt at a Schwartzweizen. I ended up calling it a "Wheat Stout." I haven tried it again, but when I do, I think I'll stick with chocolate malt and Carafa II or III for the dark malts.

That's basically what happened with my attempt at a Schwartzweizen. I ended up calling it a "Wheat Stout." I haven tried it again, but when I do, I think I'll stick with chocolate malt and Carafa II or III for the dark malts.

Yeah if I did it again, I'd go with 4-8oz of Chocolate wheat rather than the full pound. Too much roast with a full pound. You could do the full pound but amp up the hops.... could be an interesting beer but wasn't what I was going after.

tmm0f5 said:
I used WLP320. I agree regarding the black wheat. I'd prob do half a pound and it'd be fine. A pound was prob too much. Was a tasty beer though.

Wouldn't this go well with a hefeweizen yeast? More like a dunkelweizen? That's how it strikes me?!

Wouldn't this go well with a hefeweizen yeast? More like a dunkelweizen? That's how it strikes me?!

320 is the american hefe yeast. Its a little more subdued than the 300. I didn't want bubble gum and roast. I thought that would clash.

320 is the american hefe yeast. Its a little more subdued than the 300. I didn't want bubble gum and roast. I thought that would clash.

right, i didn't see the 320 part, someone put in they used 05, which would just make it a brown wheat ale...
320 sounds like a top yeast for this, it strikes me as a dunkel weizen, so i'd be tempted to try 300 instead, chocolate banana and wheat sounds pretty tasty to me.:):cross:

right, i didn't see the 320 part, someone put in they used 05, which would just make it a brown wheat ale...
320 sounds like a top yeast for this, it strikes me as a dunkel weizen, so i'd be tempted to try 300 instead, chocolate banana and wheat sounds pretty tasty to me.:):cross:

Nice. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back