DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built the original but just wanted to let others know I found a similar sprayer at Petsmart. It has the same threaded nozzle that could be modified to have the keg fitting. I think the only difference was the pump mechanism. It was in the reptile supply area in ther store. I think the price was $9.99.

Excellent find. Now you can clean your taps and wet your lizard!

Got mine built today. Followed the instructions and used the same parts on the first page.

Works great!

Line Cleaner.jpg

I picked up a Firestone ball lock liquid post assembly from Brewmaster's Warehouse (my LHBS)

The threaded end of the liquid post is 3/8 flare. The threaded end of the pump is 3/8 MIP. I picked up an adapter from Dome Hepot.

Seems to be some confusion in regards to which Firestone post to get, here you go and don't forget to tap the white washer out of the original plastic green tip that came with the sprayer and place it in the flare adaptor so the trigger will work. :tank:

Compatibility: Firestone V, VI Challenger, Super Challenger
Dimensions:
Height: 1.13in (28.6mm)
Post Width: 0.59in (15.1mm)
Width (max): 0.88in (22.2mm)
Thread: 5/8 in or 0.63in (15.9mm)
Thread Pitch: 18 threads per inch

I assembled this and it works, but it leaks like a mofo...making it pretty much unusable unless it's in a plastic tub.

I think it's leaking where the coupler meets the sprayer...it's a metal on plastic connection. I tried teflon tape, I tried it raw, I tried it on all the way, I tried it barely on...still leaks a ton of liquid. I have to screw off the main top to depressurize and make it stop leaking.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions?

I think it's fixed. I ended up taking an adjustable wrench to the adaptor to tighten that down as far as possible on the plastic threading...then while holding the adaptor with the adjustable wrench, I used my post socket wrench and tightened that down as well on teflon tape. I demo'ed it a few times and it seems like it's no longer leaking.

This system works well and is a fraction of the cost of a spare cornelius keg or commercial cleaning system. It light weight and easily stored. Its great for running cleaner through a sticky faucet.

Cost of project:

Hand Pump Sprayer: $6.92
Firestone Liquid Post: $9.99
3/8 Flare / 3/8 FIP: $2.34
Had Teflon Tape: $0.00

TOTAL: $19.25
Stopping at Home Depot in a few minutes.
Got the Post at Brewers Discount with Poppet & O-Ring for only $7.50.
Plug Firestone, Gasket, Poppet
Thanks for the great plan Geniz!!
:mug:

I built this today with a sprayer purchased from Lowes. I was a 52 oz and was in the garden section with Garden and Lawn on the side. I took it apart to fill it with cleaner and noticed some yellowish orange residue on the bottom. It also had a chemical type smell to it, so I soaked it in Oxy clean and rinsed it out but the smell is still present. Have any of your sprayers that you guys purchased had a chemical smell in them? I am not very fond of the idea of pumping chemicals though my beer lines that would be harmful.

I built this today with a sprayer purchased from Lowes. I was a 52 oz and was in the garden section with Garden and Lawn on the side. I took it apart to fill it with cleaner and noticed some yellowish orange residue on the bottom. It also had a chemical type smell to it, so I soaked it in Oxy clean and rinsed it out but the smell is still present. Have any of your sprayers that you guys purchased had a chemical smell in them? I am not very fond of the idea of pumping chemicals though my beer lines that would be harmful.

It was probably a returned item... I would take it back and exchange.

It was probably a returned item... I would take it back and exchange.

Thats what I was leaning towards...This was the only one that they had since they are "out of season". I found a local HD with the exact model that I will pick up. I was just curious if anyone else ever had this experience before I returned it.

Assembled & used mine this week. Two words: absolutely awesome.

I too had leaks all over the place with normal amounts of thread tape.
Disassembled in put in 2X, still leaked quite a bit.
Disassembled in put in 3X, (you've got to love thread tape).
This thing is awesome.

Actually built two, one for a bud. Both had the same fitup issues.
Thread tape solved them both.

This is fantastic.

Put it together last night and gave it a go. Only hitch was needing to add copious amounts of Teflon tape to the plastic thread to prevent an initial leak between brass/plastic... oh, and home depot needing to get a forklift out to pull one down from their rafters.

Works like a charm; I'm absolutely thrilled to have this in the arsenal -- what an improvement over using a keg to clean the lines. Cheers for posting this geniz!

The threaded end of the liquid post is 3/8 flare.... If you're gonna make this, make sure that you get a Firestone Liquid Post assembly.

I'm a little confused. According to Corny Keg Thread Sizes, here are the thread sizes... but none of them appear to be 3/8". What did I miss? :confused:

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super ChallengerGas 9/16"-18
Liquid 5/8" -18

Cornelius Spartan & Super Champion
Liquid 19/32" - 18

Cornelius R (pin lock)
Liquid 19/32" - 18 (3-pin)

John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger
Liquid 3/4" - 18

Firestone A, Firestone R, John Wood RA, John Wood RC (pin lock)
Liquid 9/16" - 18 (3-pin)

I'm a little confused. According to Corny Keg Thread Sizes, here are the thread sizes... but none of them appear to be 3/8". What did I miss?

Heh; my internet search was in vain to try and decipher how the different fittings work together. That said, rest assured, these two fittings do work (just built it myself the other day):

1) Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger -- Liquid 5/8" -18 [my part number was Hansen 2-KL-F 5/8-18ft x .658 O.D. with VA2KGLFA Plug Valve Assembly and O-ring, which I purchased from my LHBS] (here's a link to it: http://www.suomenpikaliitin.fi/files/Beverage catalogue.pdf)

2) 3/8 Flare x 3/8 FIP Brass Coupling (http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Watts-A-176-46-6-6-Brass-Coupling-3-8-Flare-x-3-8-FIP/16950189)

If anyone has mad plumbing skillz though, I too would be interested in understanding the how the measurements work together.

When I first picked up the post, I took it to Home Depot and sized it on their sample thread sizer. It fit the 3/8 flare. If you get the right post, it fits. Keep to the Firestone. Take it to the hardware store and try it yourself. Mine was a good enough fit that I prob could have skipped the thread tape. But I used the thread tape because I was afraid it might leak under pressure.

[...]
If anyone has mad plumbing skillz though, I too would be interested in understanding the how the measurements work together.

No mad plumbing skillz here, but if I'm reading this Wikipedia page correctly, a 3/8" flare fitting uses a 9/16-18 SAE thread - which matches the Firestone V Challenger/Firestone VI Challenger/Firestone Super Challenger posts perfectly.

Otoh, if I'm mistaken, my reading skillz ain't all that, either ;)

Cheers!

3/8" flare fitting uses a 9/16-18 SAE

... but 9/16" is for the GAS Firestone post. The LIQUID post is 5/8" and that is the one that is working with the 3/8" coupler.
9/16 = 3/8 = 5/8 ... making the gas and liquid posts interchangeable by this math. :D How very confusing.

OK, after reading these two:

http://aeromotiveinc.com/2010/01/an-vs-npt/

http://hbd.org/uchima/kegging/kegadvent.html

I *think* the Firestone post must be measured in Outer Diameter (5/8" OD) and the brass coupling is measured in Inner Diameter (3/8" ID)... which would mean that the post has a 1/8" thick wall (I don't have one handy to measure, but that seems reasonable).

The -18 appears to be the number of threads per some measure (per inch?).

If this holds true, it sure doesn't seem intuitive for one trying to find parts without a physical sizing chart...

All that said, can't guarantee the ol' readin' skillz at this hour, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

the brass coupling is measured in Inner Diameter (3/8" ID)... which would mean that the post has a 1/8" thick wall

I think you're right. The dip tube o-ring has 5/16" ID. So with the flange, it is probably just under 6/16" or 3/8" -- the ID of the post / plug?

So the point of view for the coupler must be that of its ID of 3/8" -- which yields no information on the thread itself of 5/8"(?) which mates with the plug (whose POV is the OD of the post).

So even the AN wiki page would not have helped here. There is no entry for a 5/8" firestone liquid plug -- never mind a Corny liquid plug. I guess it's trial and error. :(

Will this keg post work?

Yep, this should be the one -- per a post on the previous page:

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger
-- Gas 9/16"-18
-- Liquid 5/8" -18

As long as your V, VI or Super compatible, you should be OK (for the liquid post, of course)

About this time last year I made something similar under the "use what you got" principle. I cobbled it together from an empty OJ bottle, a schreader tire stem valve, a 3/8 ball valve, a 1/4 flare fitting, and a MIP reducer fitting.

It worked kind of OK, but required CO2 pressure to push the cleaning solution, needing me to change to a tire filler fitting on the end of my CO2 line from the regulator (a real PITA), and to hold it upside down to dispense the cleaner while adding CO2 with the other hand (another PITA). Also, because it attached to the flare nut on the beer line, it didn't clean the liquid ball lock fitting. It leaked a little too because the bottle wall is so thin and hard to seal well without tearing. So in the end, although it cleaned the lines just fine, I didn't like it all that much and really didn't like getting the caustic solution dripping and leaking on my hands.

So I finally broke down and built one of the pumps of the OP's original design. I have to say it's great device and 100% better than my junk. All the thread size banter aside, it goes together great if you follow the directions. I did do a couple of things slightly differently though. I puchased the Firestone ball lock post with the right thread, a "universal" poppet valve (see pic), and flare/FIP adapter from the same LHBS and HD as day_tippr. When I started putting it together I didn't like the amount of teflon tape it seemed to need to seal. So instead, I again used a couple of parts I had on hand to make better seals. I took off all the teflon tape and added a #10 o-ring (Danco brand at HD - see pic) to seal the flare to the ball lock post. For the adapter to the plastic pump head I took off most of the teflon tape leaving 1 wrap to keep the brass from galling the plastic treads and added a 1/4L sized faucet seat washer (Danco brand at HD - see pic) inside the brass adapter to funtion as a gasket. I had to sand down the OD of the faucet washer just a little, to the edge of the "1/4L" marking on the washer using some med. grit sandpaper on a sanding block, to get it to fit just right. These small changes should make it very reliable and 100% leak proof. My hands will like that!

I used it the other day and it SEALS GREAT and WORKS GREAT too! Kudos to the OP for posting this.

Photo_020312_001.jpg

Photo_020112_002.jpg

Photo_020112_003.jpg

starsailor said:
About this time last year I made something similar under the "use what you got" principle. I cobbled it together from an empty OJ bottle, a schreader tire stem valve, a 3/8 ball valve, a 1/4 flare fitting, and a MIP reducer fitting.

It worked kind of OK, but required CO2 pressure to push the cleaning solution, needing me to change to a tire filler fitting on the end of my CO2 line from the regulator (a real PITA), and to hold it upside down to dispense the cleaner while adding CO2 with the other hand (another PITA). Also, because it attached to the flare nut on the beer line, it didn't clean the liquid ball lock fitting. It leaked a little too because the bottle wall is so thin and hard to seal well without tearing. So in the end, although it cleaned the lines just fine, I didn't like it all that much and really didn't like getting the caustic solution dripping and leaking on my hands.

So I finally broke down and built one of the pumps of the OP's original design. I have to say it's great device and 100% better than my junk. All the thread size banter aside, it goes together great if you follow the directions. I did do a couple of things slightly differently though. I puchased the Firestone ball lock post with the right thread, a "universal" poppet valve (see pic), and flare/FIP adapter from the same LHBS and HD as day_tippr. When I started putting it together I didn't like the amount of teflon tape it seemed to need to seal. So instead, I again used a couple of parts I had on hand to make better seals. I took off all the teflon tape and added a #10 o-ring (Danco brand at HD - see pic) to seal the flare to the ball lock post. For the adapter to the plastic pump head I took off most of the teflon tape leaving 1 wrap to keep the brass from galling the plastic treads and added a 1/4L sized faucet seat washer (Danco brand at HD - see pic) inside the brass adapter to funtion as a gasket. I had to sand down the OD of the faucet washer just a little, to the edge of the "1/4L" marking on the washer using some med. grit sandpaper on a sanding block, to get it to fit just right. These small changes should make it very reliable and 100% leak proof. My hands will like that!

I used it the other day and it SEALS GREAT and WORKS GREAT too! Kudos to the OP for posting this.

Excellent fix to a problem several are having!!

another fix is to use blue blocker pipe dope and wind the 3/8" flare x 3/8" FIP all the way down tight to the plastic. That's what i did - no leaks. great little gizmo!!!

I am glad for the posted fixes, but I just want to emphasize that if you get the right post, this shouldn't leak. I've never had a problem with mine.

I am glad for the posted fixes, but I just want to emphasize that if you get the right post, this shouldn't leak. I've never had a problem with mine.

I agree with this. I'm not sure where all that tape is being used, but I only needed a few wraps on mine between the brass fitting and the post, have never had even the slightest dribble, and I use it a lot.

Just had another keg kick last night and used it to flush out the line before I loaded another fresh keg. No problems at all.

And I still think this thread should be a sticky...

Cheers!

its not the post that leaks. the thread spacing on the 3/8 female npt on the brass is a teensy bit different than the plastic thread on the end of the bottle. it kind of bottoms out before it gets tight. plastic threads always queer the deal...

its not the post that leaks. the thread spacing on the 3/8 female npt on the brass is a teensy bit different than the plastic thread on the end of the bottle. it kind of bottoms out before it gets tight. plastic threads always queer the deal...

I have no tape on that connection...

Cheers!

[edit] I stuck the white grommet thingy - flipped over from its original orientation - between the plastic tip and the inside of the brass fitting. I wonder if that makes a difference in all this...

I have no tape on that connection...

Cheers!

[edit] I stuck the white grommet thingy - flipped over from its original orientation - between the plastic tip and the inside of the brass fitting. I wonder if that makes a difference in all this...

That white gromet must be sealing the male end of the plastic fitting on the pump head to the bottom of the female brass adapter so the liquid doesn't get to the threads. From a quick scan back thru the thread it looks like those with leaks did say they didn't reuse the white gromet, leaving only the threads and teflon tape to make a seal. By design my faucet washer is sealing it the same way as the white gromet. The faucet washer has a bigger hole in the center than the white gromet, so it flows better and keeps the trigger valve disabled too.

+1 on making this thread sticky!

I just picked up a similar sprayer at Lowes and the A-176 coupling fits perfect. I have a Firestone post on order.

ry%3D400

Does yours keep pressure? I bought the same one as you but when I pump the top it doesn't hold the pressure in. I'm guessing it has something to do with that gasket. Not too sure if mine is hooked up right.

Okay, ended up getting a Flo-Master and everything worked up until I tried to put the keg post on the adapter. I'm almost certain it's a Firestone liquid out post but it doesn't seem to screw onto the adapter at all. How far is everyone able to screw their post onto their adapter? Do you have to use a wrench to tighten most of the way? I get maybe one turn with my hand.

Back