Cider on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimitri

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am new here but have read alot tho :)
I just made a hard cider, added sugar untill 9.2% alcohol was reached.
Over the weeks the cider became nice and clear, tasted well :)
Then i started to bottle all of this precious gold and added 2tsp of dextrose to each bottle hoping for further fermentation on the bottle. I asked some questions to some dutch brewers if everything i did was ok and they told me that a clear cider will hardly go back to fermentation and thus have to add champagneyeast for further fermenation. Can anyone help me out here if thats the right thing to do, or should i be fine they way it is now?
I asked this question here because there is much more pple on this forums :)

Greetings from belgium!

I think you should wait it out and see if any of the yeast was still floating around in the clear liquid, just check it in a week or so and see if there's a slight carbonation.

If it's only a matter of a few weeks, you should be just fine. If you waited more than a couple of months, you might have some issues. If you get a wee bit of yeast sediment from your fermenter when you rack to your bottling bucket, about a 1/2 teaspoon I'd guess, that should be enough (when mixed in) to carbonate a full 6 gallon batch. I've never had a problem with anything not carbing up due to there not being enough yeast in the must. About a month ago I bottled some cider that I bulk aged for a full year & it carbed up just fine. Regards, GF.

ok thanks for the advice guys,
i will wait it out and see :)
and i agree thats strictly its no cider, my mistake.
Grtz!!!

It depends on the yeast you used originally. For example if you used WLP775, my experience has been that it even at high ABV it will still be able to carbonate. The key is to give it time as GF mentioned. I've noticed that carbonated cider benefits from higher carbonation to be truly sparkling. Good luck on your apple wine!

i will post the results of my experiment :)
i guess i used too little sugar, it carbonated well, only too little.
Since i used 2 little tsp of dextrose to add, i guess its only a mere 5gr of sugar/bottle.
What i will do now is putting the cider in a big glass dj, let the gass get away, and add more sugar than before ( 8gr of sugar ) and hope i will have a real nice sparkling wine.
Greetings from belgium

Back