Brew pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apparatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing a SS brew pot. I have currently been using a 6 gallon enamel canning pot. My question is what would be the best size to purchase? I am looking at the 7.5 gallon from Homebrew Heaven for $74.95, but I noticed for just $12.00 more I could get the 12 gallon. I also notice that they can install a spigot for about $22.00 if so requested. Would it be more advisable to order the 7.5 gallon pot and have a spigot added, or to go with the larger 12 gallon and forget the spigot? I do not think I will be brewing any batches larger than 5 gallons, but I would like to have a little extra room in the pot.
Apparatus

For only $12 more, I'd go with the 12gal pot. You may think you'll not be brewing over 5gal batches, but that may change. And if you decide to step up to 10 gal batches, and want a spigot, you can always buy a weldless later on, drill the hole, and install it yourself. Just my $.02

I just bought the 12 gallon pot with a spigot installed from homebrewheaven. I have only used it twice, but it is a lot better than my old 7.5 gallon brew pot. I was having trouble with a full boil and would always have to add water later. I would totally suggest getting the 12 gallon. I am a big fan of the spigot, but it is super easy to add later, so if in doubt, get it withough (oh yeah, i rhymed)

I would say go with the bigger kettle.. I am one of those people that hates buying things twice and you will definitely need a larger pot once you go up in brew size... so why not spend the extra little bit of money and get the larger pot... its not that much... I would probably drill the hole myself and install a weldless valve later on... jsut my opinion.. good luck..

Jester

I agree with those who say go for the larger pot.

I have brewed a full-boil 5 gallon batch (6 gallon boil) in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot, and it's extremely difficult not to get a boilover at hot break time.

I recently bought a 15.5 gal keggle. My target size was 40 qt (10 gal) SS, and I found that this was a better deal than anything I could find on a straight 40 qt ss pot.

The 12 gal with a spigot looks like a good deal to me. I'm looking at a catalog now fron Midwest Homebrewing and they want $175 plus shipping for a 10 gal with a spigot

apparatus said:
I am looking at the 7.5 gallon from Homebrew Heaven for $74.95, but I noticed for just $12.00 more I could get the 12 gallon.
For another $13 bucks on top of that, you can get a keggle from Sabco. :)

davidkrau said:
The 12 gal with a spigot looks like a good deal to me. I'm looking at a catalog now fron Midwest Homebrewing and they want $175 plus shipping for a 10 gal with a spigot

wow...that seems high to me. My LHBS has a 26.8gal with a spigot for $180. Might check some of your local stores if you have them, and see what they'll charge for one. You can also buy a 15.5gal beer keg from www.keg.com for less than that. Think they're around $100 with holes there for a thermo and spigot.

From my experience, it's hard to beat the converted keg for a boil kettle.

1) They are cheaper than flat bottomed pots. A Universal Kettle from Sabco is just under $100. The flat bottomed pots of similar size are almost double. Sometimes the flat bottomed pots come with a ball valve, but it's usually brass and worth about $10 at Home Depot.

2) The Universal Kettle has 2 ports in it. One is a full coupling so that a valve can be attached on the exterior and a dip tube or kettle screen can be installed on the interior. The second port is a half coupling and can be used for a Sight Tube (very handy) or thermometer or both. Flat bottomed pots typically have one port, and it is a half coupling for attaching a ball valve only. I've had dozens of customers wanting to install a kettle screen into their flat bottomed pot, only to find out that the half coupling doesn't allow it. Many have opted to install a weldless fitting, adding to the overall cost of the their already expensive kettle.

3) The converted keg is just about indestructable. The skirts on the top and bottom make the keg very stiff. The flat bottomed pots, although durable, will not take the kind of punishment that a converted keg will. Try laying your kettle on it's side and standing on it. Two or three people could stand on a keg laying on it's side with no ill effects, a flat bottom pot will collapse without too much effort.

So, the final verdict is: cheaper, more flexiblity with add ons, and more durable. The converted keg wins.

Prosit!

Converted kegs are great but they are heavy. Depending on where you live you can get free SS pots from 20 gallon up to 40 gallon. I got the 30 gallon size which are good for 25 gallons of beer. They are pool filters that I just traded pool guys for beer, they were on the way to the scrap yard. I got 5 pots for about 5 gallons of beer.

The total cost for these was $30 each for welding and about 4 hours each in labor.

Boil Pot.
Recirc5.jpg

Fermenters.
Bigfridge3.jpg

holy...! thats a sweet setup!

But on the keg vs. pot topic, I brew on my electric stovetop, so a keg just wont cut it. I would have loved to do a keg, but it wasnt in the cards for me. That could help in your choice.

Back