La Maudite Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen an exract clone of this fine Unibroue creation? I know its a Belgian, but its unique.

-Todd

No, but there is a La Fin Du Monde cloner on recipetavern.com. I've never tried brewing it but you could start from there. Let me know if you figure out Raftman, I think that's my fav Unibrou, except for Ephemere...

Hey all, first time posting here......

The La Fin Du Monde over on recipe tavern is actually mine... It's a great clone, and tastes surprizingly like the real thing. I know there are still somebugs being worked out of the site right now, and for some reason when I added the hops to the recipe, they didn't save.

In any case, I used 6 AAU's of Perle hops at 60 minutes, and 4 AAU's of Styrian Goldings at 30 minutes. White labs belgian golden yeast seemed to work quite well for this, and prefer to ferment it one the warm side. The stick-on thermometer on my carboy read around 78 the whole time it was fermenting... turned out very estery just like the real one.

Good luck

phisig137 said:
Hey all, first time posting here......

The La Fin Du Monde over on recipe tavern is actually mine...

First of all, welcome! Second of all, please post that recipe here!:ban:

One of my best friends loves Fin and I have tried to clone it. My recipe attempt tastes very good, but not anything like Fin.

Rhoobarb said:
Second of all, please post that recipe here!:ban:

Not a problem....

4# Belgian Pilsner Malt
1# Malted Wheat
1# CaraVienne
1# Crystal 20
6# light LME
8 oz clear candi sugar

6 AAU's of Perle - 60 minutes
4 AAU's of Styrian Goldings - 30 minutes

WLP 570 - Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

I don't have exact dates of how long I primaried/secondaried this, but it was around 10 day primary, and a month in secondary. Tastes great, one of the better recipes I've brewed.

I have a stupid beginner question - is that recipe extract only? I.e. do you just steep the first 4 ingredients or is there some sort of partial mash thing going on?

Thanks

phisig137 said:
Not a problem....

4# Belgian Pilsner Malt
1# Malted Wheat
1# CaraVienne
1# Crystal 20
6# light LME
8 oz clear candi sugar

6 AAU's of Perle - 60 minutes
4 AAU's of Styrian Goldings - 30 minutes

WLP 570 - Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

I don't have exact dates of how long I primaried/secondaried this, but it was around 10 day primary, and a month in secondary. Tastes great, one of the better recipes I've brewed.

Awesome, thanks for that recipe. Let us not, in fact, forget about finding a good clone for Maudite, however, as that particular brew has its own guest bed in my heart.

An extract Maudite would be most appreciated. And this Fin is going in my "to-brew" list.

Hey, I was just looking for a Fin du Monde clone and thinking to myself, "Why the heck didn't he include the hops?" And then I found this thread, joined the group and will now attempt to pass myself off as knowlegable. Well, I know what I like, just not much else. I suppose I could get an equivalent amount of grain to sub for the LME to make an AG. Thanks so much for including the hops in this thread. I expect to firm up a recipe in the next week. Any idea how long it takes to culture up a starter from the bottle? I would gues that 4 oz. would be plenty to pitch for bottling. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of anyone adding yeast at bottling. Is there not a fear of creating a case of hand grenades?

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. I'm learning a lot about my favorite beer!

Lee

Am brewing a La Fin Du Monde clone(attempt) -with all your helpful input.
Favorite Unibroue is Trois Pistoles-any all grain attempts at this one?!
Doesn't anyone use Belgian candy sugar?

austin home brew has a kit for la fin du monde, but not Le Maudite. I agree, I used to live 45 min from Montreal, Ca. We would always take trips up there to get the fresh stuff from the brewery. Nothing better than some good Unibroue!

I have Clone Brews but the only Unibroue listed is Blanche de Chambly-under the Canadian recipes. I want to hear someone came close-and I'll try it!

Back