Hello from Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jymbo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm from County Antrim in N.Ireland and I've been brewing for a few years now, doing all grain for the last two years. I just found this forum recently and have found it very interesting and informative.

Keep up the great work!,

Jymbo

Welcome to the forum, from an Irish-American (ok, ok, it's like 5 generations back, but who doesn't love to claim they're Irish?).

Glad you found the forum, there's tons of great info and people here to help.
:mug:

Welcome! It's so cool to have people from all over the world here, and IMHO the Irish have the best accents (I know, I have an American accent, you talk normally) :)

Welcome to the forum! Big fan of Ireland. Very warm, genuine, and witty people.

Welcome! It's so cool to have people from all over the world here, and IMHO the Irish have the best accents (I know, I have an American accent, you talk normally) :)

I once read that somewhere outside (south?) of Dublin is the most correctly anunciated English in the world (looking at the language from a technical standpoint).

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. My favourite beers are Stouts and English Style Ales (Bitters and Pale Ales) although in true Irish style I'll enjoy just about anything! :D One of my favourite Irish ales is Clotworthy Dobbin from the Whitewater Brewing Company in County Down. It's a sort of Irish Red ale and was recently voted into the top 50 best beers in the world. I've had a bash at creating my own recipe at this and posted it in the recipes section. It actually turned out very nice, if not identical to the original.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all on the forum. Slainte! :mug:

Thanks, rmck1,

Until now I've ordered most of my stuff from http://www.hopshopuk.com/ . The delivery charge is quite good if you're ordering quite a bit but the prices are a little bit on the high side - I'll check out the sites you suggest.

Well I'd recommend www.thehomebrewcentre.ie... I've ordered online and called out to him as he's not that far. He's very nie to deal with, but again the selection is quite limited. It's a €7 flat rate delivery charge countrywide per parcel (large) and smaller items are caalculated online so delivery is good... Enjoy looking and welcome again...

Hi gents - it might also be worth checking out www.hopandgrape.co.uk. They're really nice people with a tremendous range of stuff, and they post all over Europe.

That's twice in one day I've recommended them. I needs to get myself on commission...

Welcome Jymbo! These are pretty much the best Forums I ever stumbled myself upon, lots of helpful and intelligent contributions from the membership all around. I do issue one word of caution, The Apfelwein Thread is freaking massive. 2nd day into reading it and I am only at 49 out of 344 pages. =)

Slainte!

Hi Jymbo,

I'll be making my first trip to Ireland next year. I'll be flying into Dublin, but we have 10 days or so, so hope to explore a bit outside of the city.

Looking forward to trying all the local brews, of course. :)

Well I'd recommend www.thehomebrewcentre.ie... I've ordered online and called out to him as he's not that far.

Holy hop-prices Batman!!!!

6.50 euro for 2 ounces of hops. Freakin' hell. For the USA-ians that would be > $5 an ounce. Prices stateside are typically $3 an ounce or so. Must be the taxes.

Go wan de dubs!

PS Welcome Jymbo!

Holy hop-prices Batman!!!!

6.50 euro for 2 ounces of hops. Freakin' hell. For the USA-ians that would be > $5 an ounce. Prices stateside are typically $3 an ounce or so. Must be the taxes.

Go wan de dubs!

PS Welcome Jymbo!

Not the taxes... Just a lack of supply and demand... Not a huge amount of people to get them from or for...

Welcome jymbo! I've been to Ireland twice now and love it! Great beers, great people, great pubs...not necessarily in that order.

Thanks, mosyslack, I've been to the US twice and I can return the compliment.

I'll be making the third trip quite soon when I head to Naples, Florida - but that's a work trip so I'll have to keep the beer to a minimum if you know what I mean - no more than 10 pints in an evening :D

Back