Krausen differences: Same yeast different styles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
First let me say that I'm not worried about my beer at all. I've just started using nottinham yeast recently and it seems to work suprisingly well.
One thing I noticed in my last two batches is the differece in krausen level between my IPA and stout. When I made the IPA the krausen litteraly blew the top off my fermenter. Now the stout using the same yeast, same temperature and about the same OG barely has an inch of krausen layer.
Like I said I'm not really worried about the beer I was just wondering if style differences have different levels of yeast activity.

In my (limited) experience, the contents of a beer have almost as much to do with the krausen as the yeast type. A heavier beer will take off more slowly, but often ferment more quickly with a bigger krausen. a beer with less fermentables and more dextrose types (like a stout) will also go more slowly. I guess in general, yes, different styles ferment very differently.

Back