Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Hi,

I just did my first partial mash.

For a 2 gallon batch, I did the folowing:
Mashed 500g pale malt with 200g crystal malt for 1 hour
added 1kg malt extract boiled with hop schedule for an hour

topped up water to 2 gallons

During the boil, I didn't see any protein come to the top.

I took a gravity reading and it was 1060 (at the correct temperature), about 4 points too high. I was wondering if sediment would contribute to the reading? After about 10 minutes there was a bit of sediment at the bottom of the trial jar...

Any advice?

strangecarr said:
Hi,

I just did my first partial mash.

For a 2 gallon batch, I did the folowing:
Mashed 500g pale malt with 200g crystal malt for 1 hour
added 1kg malt extract boiled with hop schedule for an hour

topped up water to 2 gallons

During the boil, I didn't see any protein come to the top.

I took a gravity reading and it was 1060 (at the correct temperature), about 4 points too high. I was wondering if sediment would contribute to the reading? After about 10 minutes there was a bit of sediment at the bottom of the trial jar...

Any advice?

It could. Fill the Hydro tube and leave the hydro in there long enough for the sediment to settle.

Sediment does not contribute to your SG reading, only dissolved substances such as sugars do. 4 gravity points on a 1.060 wort is pretty darn close. Remember the potential gravity point values for DME/LME and grains is an estimate - there is some variability from batch to batch and from grain to grain and year to year.

GT

As long as the particulates do not impede the floatation of the hydrometer then it will no affect the reading.

Only the desolved matter changes gravity of a liquid

Latest posts

Back