Start of a single tier build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterlab

Reaction score
Well I finally got sick of using a ghetto gravity system. It basically consisted of mash tun on top of patio table---->boil kettle on burner---->to CFC on steps to fermenter. I had been looking all over for weeks at designs and what I want, I bought 48 feet of 2x2 steel tubing for the structure. I finally settled on JonW's build as far as the frame goes. So I cut all my pieces yesterday and started to tack the top section together. After tacking I realized why I hated using flux core wire. So I will be buying a bottle of c25 later in the week. Here is my progress so far.

image-1419418553.jpg

image-1720008849.jpg

image-102720245.jpg

image-2643620472.jpg

Looking good. I made mine this summer and it looks very similar. You will be glad you did it! Here's mine after a fresh coat of paint

ForumRunner_20130225_183126.jpg

Well I finally got sick of using a ghetto gravity system. It basically consisted of mash tun on top of patio table---->boil kettle on burner---->to CFC on steps to fermenter. I had been looking all over for weeks at designs and what I want, I bought 48 feet of 2x2 steel tubing for the structure. I finally settled on JonW's build as far as the frame goes. So I cut all my pieces yesterday and started to tack the top section together. After tacking I realized why I hated using flux core wire. So I will be buying a bottle of c25 later in the week. Here is my progress so far.

That is a nice Snap On toolbox you got there. The brew rig looks good too. Do you mind me asking the length and height of the frame? I'm about to build another rack but I'm undecided about dimensions. I know the minimum size needed.

Thanks for the comments, the tool box is about 4 years old and was from when I did auto body for work. Now it's full of tools from then and paint supplies. The stuff I learned from auto body really helps out a lot as far as fabbing things together.
The length is 60" and height is going to be close to 28" I think. Iam following JonW's build as far as dimensions go.

I know, but all the other steel for the stand cost 108$ and these little freeken flame shelds cost almost as much. Your build looks good.

Thanks it sure is a lot of welding, I don't think I've welded this much since some restorations we did at the shop. I had been trying to figure out ways to mount the burners my own way and came up with it. I'm using the kettle supports that are spaced correctly to mount the burners. I bought some weldable steel strips that are 12ga that have holes about every inch or so apart. I will cut those to sections and weld to the kettle support and placed a piece of sheet metal as the shield. This is honestly the best and simplest way I could think of without spending a ton of money.

What did you use for a welding table? I see you have the sawhorse on the one shot...was that adequate? No problems with melting? Between that and trying to figure out how to keep it square and level I'm flaking out on building my own.

I used the saw horse pictured , and also place the metal on the floor and leveled it our before welding. I bought magnetic welding right angles for keeping things square and use a regular square as well.

Well here's some more photos . I made the burner mounts and there perfect just need to add a windscreen.

image-3156018631.jpg

image-3871709156.jpg

image-2610461887.jpg

I built my gas manifold today for the stand and and it almost there. Got a chugger pump in today now I just need to figure out how to mount it.

image-1138474043.jpg

image-945594508.jpg

Are you going to mount casters? Interested to see what you do if so. I pick up a welding gun for the first time ever tomorrow. Took the week off and hope to a) learn how to weld and b) finish as much as I can. Local metal shop where I bought the material is also doing all my cutting ($10!) so I've got that going for me.

My casters should be here on Wednesday. I had welded a 1/2" x13 nut to one side of a 3/4" flat washer that is 2" diameter. I will be welding the washer to the bottom of each leg for attachment points.

I used casters that you shove up in the tube and as you tighten the nut they expand. I got them from caster city.

2013-03-02_16-21-54_246.jpg

Well I finally got the stand painted today as it was a really nice day to do outside. Tomorrow I will start the assembly of the stand and finally be close to my first brew.

image-94222886.jpg

image-2055339302.jpg

The paint was some left over ppg single stage I had which was sprayed over a epoxy sealer.

It really was a spectacular early Spring day today in the Northeast - and at least twice I was kicking myself for not taking advantage and priming my single tier.

But I was in the middle of a double brew day, so it's not like the day was wasted on non-beer-related activities ;) The single tier can wait (just like it's waited since friggin' September, dammit!) for a paint job, what I need right now is to refill my pipeline!

Cheers!

How is that paint heat-wise? I mean damn that looks sick but are you afraid it'll go up in smoke around the burners?

There's a place locally that will powder coat mine for about $100 (including prep)...having a tough time weighing not having to mess around with all that grinding and painting versus saving the cash and painting it myself. They say the powder coat is good up to about 550 degrees. This place does a lot of work for Harley so he said it'd be the same finish as, like, their handlebars and rocker covers (flat black).

I doubt it will hold up much over extended times , i plan to test later this week. I moved it over to my house today and started the assemble.

A couple things I learned aluminum flashing is only good at blocking wind and not for heat and copper tubing is a pita to bend for gas lines.

I just ended up order some 18ga stainless for wind screens and diamond plate to cover the bottom for a clean pump cover.

Well here it is on its new patio. Finally got it together and new propane lines as the copper leaked and bending was a Pita. Hoping to brew Monday !

image-1709278577.jpg

Back