Kegerator: Sylvania SE80106-2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I finally had time to finish this baby up. I even got to christen it properly with a poker game that went through a keg and a half. :D

I decided to bolt down the tower, I wasn't happy with the stability of it, especially with one of my large aluminum tap handles on it. I drilled 4 holes for carriage bolts, the tops of the bolts are sealed to the fridge insulation with silicone. On the inside of the fridge I put some metal tape over the nuts.

I also decided on a way to cool the lines in the tower without actually requiring a fan or anything. I cut 2 lengths of copper pipe to extend an inch into the fridge and to within 1" of the bottom of the goose-neck on the shanks. I then sprayfoamed the void in the tower.

The copper seems to be working exactly as I'd hoped in that it is transmitting the cool temperature of the fridge up it's length and keeping the lines cool all the way to the shanks. When I pour that first beer it is the exact temp as the water in the fridge that my thermometer is in.

5408-tower_attach_and_cooling.jpg

Here's a close-up of the assembly in the top of the tower.
5408-tower_insulation_shank_assembly.jpg

And here is the finished kegerator. The tower isn't actually crooked, it's just the picture. I even used a level to make sure it was perfect!
5408-finished_kegerator.jpg

That copper pipe idea is AWESOME!!! You just helped me with my future Keezer project! Not sure when I'll get to it but it WILL happen!!! Right after...(insert other beer items here) :D

HMmm, looks like the big CT no longer lists this fridge on their website...last I checked it was 199.99...

Anyone have any tips on where to find this in southern ontario?

OCB tilly said:
HMmm, looks like the big CT no longer lists this fridge on their website...last I checked it was 199.99...

Anyone have any tips on where to find this in southern ontario?
The part # is 43-1825-0 (here is the product page, don't know if the link will work for you). I found it when I searched but I think the Canadian Tire website filters by postal code. According to the online stock status, most of the stores in my area still have some in stock so you can definitely find them.

Edit: In fact all 3 stores they list in St Catharines show stock. That doesn't necessarily mean they are IN the store, but it means you can ask them to get it brought from the warehouse for you (usually is an overnight thing with any truck parts I've purchased).

bradsul said:
The part # is 43-1825-0 (here is the product page, don't know if the link will work for you). I found it when I searched but I think the Canadian Tire website filters by postal code. According to the online stock status, most of the stores in my area still have some in stock so you can definitely find them.

Edit: In fact all 3 stores they list in St Catharines show stock. That doesn't necessarily mean they are IN the store, but it means you can ask them to get it brought from the warehouse for you (usually is an overnight thing with any truck parts I've purchased).

Appreciate it; looks like this is something I'll definitely go through with...

OCB tilly said:
Appreciate it; looks like this is something I'll definitely go through with...
No problem. If you're not in a hurry, they seem to put this fridge on sale every couple months. I've seen it as low as $159.99, I got it for $169.99. Even $199.99 isn't a bad price though since you now know for sure that it will work. :)

bradsul said:
No problem. If you're not in a hurry, they seem to put this fridge on sale every couple months. I've seen it as low as $159.99, I got it for $169.99. Even $199.99 isn't a bad price though since you now know for sure that it will work. :)

Yeah don't know if I want to wait that long...already have a full corny looking for a home...guess I could just leave it on my balcony until it gets too cold....

EDIT: And I think Canadian Tire will honour sale prices as long as you keep your receipt...no?

bradsul said:
Well I finally had time to finish this baby up. I even got to christen it properly with a poker game that went through a keg and a half. :D

Looks good Brad.

Congratulations on your "baby".

Tis nice to draw a small nip whenever you want...eh?

OCB tilly said:
Yeah don't know if I want to wait that long...already have a full corny looking for a home...guess I could just leave it on my balcony until it gets too cold....

EDIT: And I think Canadian Tire will honour sale prices as long as you keep your receipt...no?
You know I'm not sure. You could ask in store or it's probably on the website. I imagine there is a time limit though. Otherwise they'd get people a year later trying to get a discount. I do know they honour lower advertised prices from other retailers. I got my GPS at a substantial discount because of that.

BierMuncher said:
Looks good Brad.

Congratulations on your "baby".

Tis nice to draw a small nip whenever you want...eh?
Most definitely. It beats room temp beer out of a picnic faucet! Plus it looks 100x cooler. :D Next upgrade is some Perlick faucets, come on Christmas!

Good idea with the copper in the tower for the hoses... Brad.
Cheers to a job completed :mug:

My beer brewing buddy says he found a 11 cu ft freezer in the paper....I think he wants sylvia (name we have given my kegerator)

It's always nice to go bigger and better. I'm going to be sticking with this one for quite some time since I live in an apartment but I can't say I'm displeased with it.

bradsul said:

Woo on sale for 159.99!

OCB tilly said:
Woo on sale for 159.99!

They call it a Salton. It sez 4.6 cu. ft. which is the same as Bradsul's Sylvania. There are only actually two fridge manufacturers. They just stick different brands on them. Of course they also change them ever so slightly but that might be enough to F' it up for two cornies and a tank.

I'm this close to getting it. I just want to make sure it works.

Costco.ca has a Sanyo 4912M but for $269.99. The Salton would be sweet provided it could work.

Please let us fellow Canukleheads know.

Rudeboy

Rudeboy said:
They call it a Salton. It sez 4.6 cu. ft. which is the same as Bradsul's Sylvania. There are only actually two fridge manufacturers. They just stick different brands on them. Of course they also change them ever so slightly but that might be enough to F' it up for two cornies and a tank.
Rudeboy

My beer brewing buddy was interested in the $159 deal so we picked one up yesterday.

The fridge says 4.6 cu ft its made by Salton as you mentioned not Sylvania . I saw that the thermostat was seated lower on the Salton model as mentioned. I unseated this thermostat control and tried to fit 2 standard 8.5" dia size kegs or narrower single handle Spartenberg kegs 8" dia - no go - could only fit one.
Were going to take the Salton back.

Hay Brad...I was up in Hamilton
Look at some of my new beer gear I aquired
1861111799_6c4e54ebf8_m.jpg

Cheers :mug:
BeerCanuck

I was wondering about that fridge. It looks narrower than the Sylvania.

Like the keg! I'm going to email Wellington Brewery soon and see if they have any decommissioned kegs they want to sell me. :)

Just returned the Salton back and got a floor model of the Sylvania for my beer brewing buddy. Canadain Tire seemed to be sold out here in St Catharines for this older model. I decided to test fit two standard 8.5" diamenter kegs into Sylvestor and they seemed to fit.
1896179741_05a9f1b4d1_m.jpg

cheers :mug:
BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck said:
Just returned the Salton back and got a floor model of the Sylvania for my beer brewing buddy. Canadain Tire seemed to be sold out here in St Catharines for this older model. I decided to test fit two standard 8.5" diamenter kegs into Sylvestor and they seemed to fit.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/1896179741_05a9f1b4d1_m.jpg[IMG]

cheers :mug:
BeerCanuck[/QUOTE]

Hey! Another brewer in St. Catharines!?

I picked up the Salton at Canadian Tire on Glendale....with some modifications (had to shave down some of those ridges on the interior walls) I made it large enough for two cornies...

I'll post pics once I find the cable for my camera...

OCB tilly said:
Hey! Another brewer in St. Catharines!?

I picked up the Salton at Canadian Tire on Glendale....with some modifications (had to shave down some of those ridges on the interior walls) I made it large enough for two cornies...

That's cool OCB tilly..welcome to HBT :mug:
Your from St Catharines...even cooler :mug:

I just picked up a manifold/distrubuter and a single tap tower from CBS for sylvestor.
Probably put it together this weekend
Keep you posted

BeerCanuck

I just picked up a tower and distributer for my beer brewing buddies Sylvania conversion
12838-TowerDistributer.jpg

He wanted something different from my system. A single tap works well with a 2 keg kegerator from my experience... one serving / one force priming.

I plan on converting soon using this predone tower... should be easier / shinier :)

BeerCanuck

Very nice! I wanted a stainless tower too but now that I have the DIY one I love it, it looks really slick. Can't say I agree about a single tap tower though, I like having a stout and something else on tap at the same time (I LOVE stout :D). I don't force carbonate so that's not an issue for me, I like doing natural carbonation.

I'm one of those guys who wishes he could have a beer engine. Too bad I'd never be able to get through a keg anywhere near fast enough. :(

Just mounted the single tap tower to my buddies Sylvania kegerator
12838-Sylvestor.jpg

I used the 1/2 copper pipe to run the beer line into the fridge. Easy conversion second time around. Just testing the C02 and need one more hose clamp but probably christen her tommorrow.

Good idea with the copper cooling solution Bradsul

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I'm digging up an old thread.

I"m wondering what alternatives I have to replace the door lining of the Sylvania SE80106-2 bar fridge I picked up second hand a couple of days ago. I have already read bradsul's wiki entry and mr x's post about this fridge here on HBT.

The fridge came unconverted with a sheet of 4mm thick corflute/coroplast, which was intended to replace the door lining, but the corflute is too thick, and when I tried to use it the the seal was very distorted and I can't get the seal underneath the corflute all the way around. In fact I can't even close the door, let alone get a good seal. So I guess I need something a lot thinner.

I have found 2mm thick corflute on the web, maybe that will do the job, but I haven't seen it at a store near me. Bradsul mentions dry-erase (whiteboard) material, but I'm not sure what that is or where to get it. A couple of friends have suggested plexiglass and aluminium, but I have no workshop or tools and I would prefer to use something I can cut with an exacto. And as I don't have a car I would especially like something that is easy to find downtown Montreal.

Any ideas or suggestions?

A piece of 1/8" lexan should do the trick. You can get that at Home Depot and it can be cut with a straight edge of some sort and a utility knife. Make several passes though.

The whiteboard can be had at Home Depot as BeerCanuck mentioned or you can get them from Staples[/any random office supply] (which is where mine came from). You'll just have to remove the frame it comes with (they had less interesting uses in mind I guess :D).

Thanks for the replies.

Is 1/8" too thick? That's about 3.15mm, and I thought the 4mm corflute was way too thick. How thick is the dry-erase stuff? I was thinking something 1-2mm thick would be good but maybe I'm going too far towards the thin end of things?

You're right, I think the dry-erase is probably more like 1/16". You should be able to find lexan in that thickness as well, but I would imagine the dry erase is cheaper.

Back