is my bucket clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
I use a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket. I clean it well ( I think) after each batch. However, it still smells like beer. Is that a problem? Does that mean it's not as clean as I think it is? I clean It with a soft cloth, hot water and a little bit of dish soap. Sometimes use oxi clean too. Any input?

its plastic it will smell like beer, but its clean.

the only way to pull the smell out of it, is to soak it with water for at
least as long as its held beer.

Ok. Thanks. I don't mind the smell, just wanted to make sure it wasn't hurting my beer.

Every once in a while I soak my buckets with a mild bleach solution for 2 or 3 days, then I soak it with oxiclean for a day, then I rinse it well and put it in the sun for a day. It takes most of the old beer smell out, but you can still smell it a little.. No worries!

Drop the dish soap!, it may kill your beer's head retention. Just use the Oxiclean, no neet to use other detergents. Like an earlier poster said if the smell really bugs you use bleach every once in a while but rinse well.

no, woody.......... your bucket is NOT clean.......buy another one, its cheap!! Or just bleach the hell out of it and leave it in the sun for a few days

I put a scoop of oxiclean in mine and fill it up with water. Then I let it sit in the sun all day. probably like 8 hours, if no sun, let it sit in the garage over night. the sun helps to remove the stain from the beer.

What bleach solutions are you guys using to nuke your FVs? I might do mine as I think i've been using a mildly infected yeast strain for a while now, though it never get's bad enough to affect the beer. I'm going to start with fresh yeast and probably nuke the FVs.

there are plenty of threads on here about how impossible it is to get the smell out - as long as it smells like yeast/beer you are fine - you can even expect some discoloration that won't go away as well

What bleach solutions are you guys using to nuke your FVs? I might do mine as I think i've been using a mildly infected yeast strain for a while now, though it never get's bad enough to affect the beer. I'm going to start with fresh yeast and probably nuke the FVs.

I don't really measure. I just go by eye. If I had to guess I'd say I use about 1/2 to 2/3 a cup of general purpose bleach to about 5 gallons of water. Make sure to use cold water anytime you mix with bleach...

Latest posts

Back