Bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
WTH I was bottling last night ,had 2 cases sitting on the counter , after finishing, stored the cases away there was like 5 or 6 bugs . looked like a long termite goldish color . Is that a bo wevil ? whats hanging out in my cardboard beer boxes , anyone have this problem.

I read once that the wevils you get in things like cereal and pasta come from eggs that are laid there BEFORE the products are even packaged, and consumers eat them everyday without consequence, as the FDA even considers them acceptable in food products. These are the same types of eggs you find on pretty much anything that has sugar left on it for a few days, probably like your cardboard box.

I wouldn't worry about it, it might screw with your head, but they would die in the alcohol of a beer, and they are OK to eat dead or alive either way!

Yep, sounds like weevils. Extra protein is all.

I have more than once realized that something I was consuming had the frigging things in it.

If they were just in the box, though, not in the bottles (assuming that you rinsed them well), then you don't even have to worry at all.

No there not in the brew , but if there in the boxes the wife's not gonna let the boxes be stored in the house' thats the problem

If the boxes are the probem, pitch them and pick up some plastic milk carton style boxes. They store about 1and 1/2 cases of bottles. And can be cleaned and stored easily.

Back